Energy, Environment and BioEconomy
Alberta’s energy industry is critical to the province’s prosperity. Strongly tied to oil and gas activity is Alberta’s environmental services sector, known internationally for excellence in water treatment, waste management, soil remediation, forest-land reclamation and the development of climate-change solutions.
Alberta’s agriculture and forestry sector is the second largest component of Alberta’s economy. It provides a significant source of raw materials, including agriculture and forestry fibre, for use in the province’s bioeconomy, which includes the production of food, feed, bio-based products and bioenergy from renewable, biological resources.
NAIT’s supports these vital drivers of western Canada’s economy through applied research essential to the region’s oil and gas, oil sands, and alternative energy subsectors. This includes our commitment to delivering applied-research solutions that strengthen the sector’s environmental sustainability.
Our capabilities in this area include a number of major Applied Research Centres and Chairs.
Applied Research Centres
- Centre for Sensors and System Integration
- Centre for Oil Sands Sustainability
- Boreal Research Centre
Applied Research Chairs
- LEDCOR Chair for Oil Sands Sustainability
- NSERC Industrial Research Chairs for Colleges - Peatland Restoration
- NSERC Industrial Research Chairs for Colleges - Boreal Reclamation and Reforestation
- Applied Bio-Nano Industrial Research Chair
- Research Lead - Seed Technologies
For more information about how NAIT can help with your applied research needs, please contact:
Associate Dean Research, School of Applied Sciences and Technology