Program Model / Completion Requirements
NAIT’s SafeStart program covers 11 total units—5 initial units, followed by 6 Extended Application Units (EAUs). Included in these 11 units are
- Unit 1: Introduction and Overview
- Unit 2: Eyes on Task, Mind on Task
- Unit 3: Line-of-fire, Balance/Traction/Grip
- Unit 4: Rushing, Frustration, Fatigue, Complacency
- Unit 5: Critical Error Reduction Techniques (CERTs)
- EAU 1: Using CERTS to Prevent Sprains and Strains
- EAU 2: Mind on Task, Safety Systems and Recognizing Change
- EAU 3: Deliberate Risk and Error
- EAU 4: Risk, Error, and Redundancy
- EAU 5: Anticipating Error
- EAU 6: Complacency and the Other Guy
Classroom and Study Hours
The 11 units that make up the SafeStart program are taught over the span of 22 instructional hours with 8 hours delivered face to face, and 14 hours completed online.
The program spans a 6-week period with 4 in-class sessions that are 2 hours each.