Centre of Excellence
CAE Healthcare and NAIT have entered a simulation research partnership to improve health-care education and patient safety, including support for the polytechnic's simulation research initiatives.
An international leader in the field of simulation-based education and training for healthcare, CAE Healthcare has also certified NAIT as a CAE Healthcare Centre of Excellence. NAIT students and industry partners now have access to some of the most advanced medical simulation technology available.
The School of Health and Life Science's 560-square-metre (6,000-square-foot) multi-disciplinary simulation centre at Main Campus features state-of-the-art equipment and technology that enhance teaching and learning. This new technology – including some of the most advanced medical manikins available – allows students to practice realistic scenarios in a controlled environment and be better prepared to work with real patients.
According to CAE Healthcare, a Centre of Excellence must meet the following criteria, they
- must actively contribute to the body of knowledge through simulation research and development
- they must have a clearly defined mission focused on patient safety through the use of simulation
- as leaders in simulation, Centre of Excellence institutions must promote excellence, and also share their experiences and knowledge with the wider simulation community
- they must promote the use of simulation to drive evidence-based medicine and evidence-based practice
- they must have a national or regional presence in healthcare simulation and recognized authority in the field.