What to Expect
The Business Administration – Entrepreneurship and Innovation program develops leaders that will be poised to enter the world of business and make an immediate impact.
Students will develop an understanding of modern business dynamics and organizational culture, and will graduate with the skills and knowledge required to become innovators—whether as founders of their own businesses or as valued contributors within existing enterprises.
Students continually hone their skills through hands-on learning opportunities and work with real-world case studies that not only make their studies relevant, but highly engaging as well.
Classroom & Study Hours
On average, students can expect to spend
- 20 hours per week attending classes over the course of each semester
- An additional 20-30 hours per week studying, completing assignments, doing research, reading, etc.
The School of Business is currently located in the Centre for Applied Technology (CAT). Our facilities include classroom space and computer labs equipped with current business software and Internet access. Wireless access is also available from all common areas on Main Campus.
Features of this building include
- 45 labs and simulation rooms, including a Banking/Stock Trading lab
- 57 classrooms
- computer commons with 90 available workstations
- 135-seat theatre
- modern study space and common areas
- outdoor greenspace and theatre
- food services options including Starbucks and Tim Hortons
In order to succeed in today’s business and professional work environments, students must be comfortable working with modern standards in technology. To ensure students are sufficiently prepared, industry standard technology is integrated in all of our teaching tools and assignments.
Technology You Will Need
The JR Shaw School of Business highly recommends students acquire and make use of a computer (laptop or tablet*) in and away from the classroom in order to successfully engage with their classmates and complete JR Shaw curriculum.
Your computer will be used to access key learning resources critical to your success and therefore must be in good working order. It is also important to have a battery with sufficient life to allow for use when a plug-in is not available. Your battery is expected to last through the duration of your daily schedule/classes. Replacement batteries can often be purchased to improve battery life on an existing computer.
At a minimum, your laptop must meet the following requirements.
- Windows 7 or higher
- 10 GB free hard drive space
- 2 GB memory (RAM)
- Wi-Fi Connection
- OSX 10.7 (Lion) or later
- 10 GB free hard drive
- 2 GB memory (RAM)
- Wi-Fi Connection
For tablets* the minimum Operating System requirements are as follows
- Android - KitKat 4.4
- Apple - iOS8
- Microsoft - Windows 10
Please make sure you have a dedicated keyboard and pointing device (mouse or stylus) to complement your tablet so you can complete online activities, assignments, and assessments in and out of the classroom.
In addition to traditional lecture setting, students can also use NAIT's state-of-the-art computer labs. Our computer labs are fully equipped with current business software and Internet access. Business Administration students are supplied with email accounts.
Is This Program For You?
The JR Shaw School of Business Entrepreneurship and Innovation Program is designed to provide the required skills and knowledge to those looking to start a business, lead the growth of an existing company or take an organization in a new direction.
Along with this unique education experience offered by the JR Shaw School of Business, students have additional learning opportunities offered throughout NAIT.
- Business simulation – Online simulations provide the opportunity for students to practice skills learned in the classroom to set theories and analyze results in a controlled environment. Learn more.
- Clubs – Students draw on skills developed in the classroom as they work on projects, hone their networking skills and learn from industry experts. Learn more.
- Business Competitions – Students in the JR Shaw School of Business have an opportunity to participate in a wide range of business competitions over the course of their academic career at NAIT.
- Awards – Our students have enjoyed great success and recognition in various competitions, locally, nationally and internationally.
For additional information about the JR Shaw School of Business and its programs, please contact the Business Information Centre at email@example.com. You can also call 780.471.8998 or drop in on the 3rd floor of the Centre for Applied Technology.