Silviculture Toolkit for re-establishing forest cover
The Silviculture Toolkit is a suite of knowledge extension tools based on silvicultural knowledge and techniques currently used by the forest industry. The documents and videos provide information and instruction to improve return to forest cover on areas disturbed by oil sands exploration activities and operations. This project focuses on in-situ sites as well as seismic lines and other linear disturbances, but the silviculture methods are not limited to these sites; information presented can be applied to other disturbed areas in the boreal forest, including mineral mining sites, and forest roads.
The first set of products include seven factsheets that look at site preparation and regeneration techniques. Factsheets discussing site assessment and vegetation management techniques, in-depth guidebooks as well as videos will be added to this site shortly.
The Silviculture Toolkit was developed collaboratively with experts from Canadian Forest Service, Cenovus, FPInnovations, InnoTech Alberta, Fuse Consulting Ltd. and NAIT Centre for Boreal Research, and funded by COSIA.
For more information, contact: email@example.com
- Guidebook: Site assessment (coming soon)
- Site assessment (coming soon)
Site Preparation Techniques
- Guidebook: Site preparation techniques (coming soon)
- Guidebook: Regeneration techniques (coming soon)
- A guide to natural regeneration and seeding (pdf)
- Guide sur la régénération naturelle et ensemencement (pdf)
Silviculture toolkit videos can be viewed here (link)
Vegetation Management Techniques
- Guidebook: Vegetation management techniques (coming soon)
- A guide to vegetation management (coming soon)
- Chemical vegetation control (coming soon)
- Mechanical vegetation control (coming soon)
- Cultural vegetation control (coming soon)