IMPORTANT NOTE: Alberta Works funding for ESL and Academic Upgrading for Fall 2014 has been depleted. If you would like to explore funding for Winter 2015 must submit a NAIT Alberta Works Assessment form after September 22, 2014. Once the assessment has been reviewed Student will be contacted to be booked an assessment appointment.
Any student who wishes to receive Alberta Works Full Time Income Support for Learners needs to complete an assessment required by Alberta Human Services as eligibility is determined by their criteria. While attending a Human Services (Alberta Works) approved training program, individuals may be eligible for a contribution toward their tuition, books, living cost and childcare as well as eligible to receive health benefits. The amount of income support is determined by a financial needs assessment.
The Application Process
1. Choose a program.
If you require assistance to determine which program best suits your needs and/or helps you reach your employment goal, you can contact the Advising Centre or Student Recruitment departments to get the guidance you need. You may also be interested in visiting our Prospective Students website for all your options or browse our programs.
The following programs are eligible for Alberta Works funding:
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Academic Upgrading
- Auto Body Technician, Pre-employment
- Automotive Service Technician, Pre-employment
2. Are you eligible?
If you answer yes to the following questions, you may be eligible.
- Planning to attend English as a Second Language (ESL), Academic Upgrading, or a designated pre-employment program and
- 18 years old or older or have a spouse who is 18 years old or older and
- Out of high school for 12 months before the start of the program and
- A resident of Alberta (Permanent Resident, Conventional Refugee or Canadian Citizen)
3. Submit the paperwork.
- Complete the “NAIT Alberta Works Assessment” form and save it to your computer.
- Save the form using your legal last name followed by your first name (example Doe, Jane.xls).
- Once completed, email the document to NAIT Financial Aid at email@example.com.
- Once it is received, the assessment will be reviewed and if basic eligibility is met, you will be contacted by phone within 2 business days to book an appointment for an Employability Assessment with a specialist.
Please note: Appointments will not be given until all paperwork listed above is complete.
If you do not qualify for the grant, you will be informed through email and alternate options for funding can be discussed.