Students get up close with millions worth of oil industry equipment in NAIT parking lot
WHAT: Students in NAIT’s Petroleum Engineering Technology program will get a chance to investigate and operate massive oilfield equipment as part of the program’s annual Industry Day. This year’s focus will be on hydraulic fracturing, oil sands and western Canada’s pipeline industry.
Some of the equipment on site will include:
- Mobile control centers used in the monitoring of hydraulic fracturing
- Hydraulic fracturing fluid demonstrations
- Sophisticated monitoring equipment used in monitoring Steam Assisted Gravity Drainage (SAGD) production from the oil sands
- A 34-metre (111-foot) long truck carrying three kilometres of coiled pipe used to reach the ends of horizontally drilled wells
- Air quality monitoring equipment used to detect air pollution from oil and gas production facilities
- Full-scale mobile safety simulators for off-road driving and confined space entry
Technical presentations will also be given by industry experts on a variety of topics (details below).
WHERE: NAIT Main Campus
11762 106 St.
WHEN: Thursday, April 11, 2013
Parking Lot U, north of Y Building
8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Shaw Theatre (in Building X on campus map)
- 8:00 a.m. to 8:45 a.m. – Canadian Heavy Oil Association, status of the heavy oil industry in Alberta
Room L036 (in Building L on campus map9:30 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. – Regent Energy Group, steam control for SAGD wells
- 10:15 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. – Syncrude Research, end pit lakes
- 1:00 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. – Sanjel Corporation, hydraulic fracturing
- 1:45 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. - Kinder Morgan, Trans Mountain Pipeline Expansion Project
WHY: See the impressive equipment students will soon work with in their industry and find out why industry wants to bring its high-priced equipment and personnel to NAIT and to talk directly to students.
For more information, please contact:
Chair of Petroleum Engineering Technology program
P 780.471.7776 C 780.918.9731 E firstname.lastname@example.org
NAIT Media Relations
P 780.471.8450 C 780.916.8307 E email@example.com