NAIT launches largest fundraising campaign in its history
NAIT today launched the largest fundraising initiative in its history. The goal of Essential: The NAIT Campaign is to raise $100 million to support students, applied research and the largest capital project in the polytechnic’s 52-year history, the Centre for Applied Technologies.
“Our role in providing hands-on, technology-based education for our students is essential to meet the labour market needs of Alberta and build prosperity,” said President and CEO Dr. Glenn Feltham. “We need to increase our applied research with industry partners to provide timely solutions and accelerate commercialization.”
NAIT is more than half the way to meeting the campaign’s $100 million goal, thanks to the support of individuals, alumni and industry during the “quiet” phase of the campaign. Of the $100 million, $15 million will be earmarked for the Centre for Applied Technologies, currently under construction at Main Campus. The remaining $85 million will support student learning initiatives, improve program and equipment funding, and fund applied research.
Today’s launch, held in the Shaw Theatre at Main Campus, was attended by representatives of industry, along with alumni, students and staff.
“I’m pleased to announce my commitment to this institute as chair of Essential: The NAIT Campaign, a fundraising effort that will build on the polytechnic’s incredible strengths and position it for substantial growth well into the next decade,” said Brent Hesje, chair of the board of governors and CEO of Fountain Tire.
Essential: The NAIT Campaign runs through to 2018 and supports NAIT’s vision to be the most relevant and responsive post-secondary institution in Canada and one of the world’s leading polytechnics.
When complete in 2016, the 52,000-square-metre (500,000-square-foot) Centre for Applied Technologies will be used by 5,000 full-time students. The Centre will enable NAIT to increase enrolment in health, business, engineering technologies, and sustainable building and environmental management programs.
Essential: The NAIT Campaign
• The goal is to raise $100 million by 2018. NAIT is more than halfway there (raised through the “quiet” phase of the campaign).
• The campaign cabinet (volunteers who support, endorse and promote the campaign) includes:
o Brent Hesje (chair) - CEO of Fountain Tire
o Diane Brickner - President & CEO Peace Hills Insurance Company
o Joe Duetscher - Vice President & Site Operations Director Dow Canada
o Daniel Lefaivre - Executive Vice President & Chief Financial Officer Stantec
o Kris Mauthe - President & CEO Argus Machine
o Ray Pisani - President & CEO Alberta Blue Cross
o Larry Spagnolo - Chief Commercial Officer Zedi
o Paul Verhesen - President & CEO Clark Builders
• 92% of NAIT graduates find work within months of graduation from full-time programs.
• 95% of graduates are satisfied with their education experience at NAIT
• 98% of graduates would recommend NAIT
• 99% of employers would hire a NAIT grad again
• NAIT has been named Alberta’s top research college, and second in Canada.
• Applied research projects address industry’s need for technology solutions and commercialization.
Centre for Applied Technologies:
• The Centre for Applied Technologies, the largest capital project in NAIT’s history, is currently under construction at Main Campus at the corner of 106 Street and 118 Avenue.
• Ground was officially broken Aug. 29, 2013.
• When complete in 2016, it will be used by 5,000 full-time students. This represents an increase of 1,700 students in four program areas: health, business, engineering technologies and sustainable building & environmental management.
• It will be one of the largest simulation-based education facilities in Canada.
The Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) is a leading Canadian polytechnic, delivering education in science, technology and the environment; business; health and trades. With more than 60,000 credit and non-credit students and a 98 per cent employer satisfaction rate, NAIT grads are essential to Alberta’s prosperity. Known for hands-on, technology-based learning, NAIT engages with business and industry in applied research and innovation and provides corporate training around the world. Recognized as one of Alberta’s top employers, NAIT provides outstanding returns on investment for its graduates, partners, the provincial government and the people of Alberta.
NAIT Media Relations
P 780.471.8450 C 780.916.8307 E email@example.com