Father and son live together and graduate together
Gary and Kyle Adam complete Heavy Equipment Technician program
Kyle Adam has always been close to his dad Gary. But he never imagined that at the age of 26 he would not only be living at home again, but also carpooling daily with his father and sitting in the same classroom as him.
“It’s worked out really well,” says Kyle.
Gary, also a journeyman machinist (he first graduated from NAIT in 1996), recalls family road trips with his two young sons where he would pull the car over, put on the four-ways, and watch heavy equipment at work with his boys. Years later, Gary brought Kyle to NAIT Open House, where both father and son fell in love with the idea of obtaining their Heavy Equipment Technician tickets. Heavy equipment technicians maintain, repair and overhaul heavy vehicles and industrial equipment.
“We both started in the trade at the same time. It just never worked out until now that we were in the same class together,” says Gary, 56.
In Alberta, 80% of an apprentice’s training is on-the-job, under the supervision of a journeyman. The formal instruction (the remaining 20%) takes place at post-secondaries like NAIT.
“There was a lot of apprehension at first, on both our parts,” laughs Gary, who sat directly in front of his son in class, and was older than his instructors. “But I’ve just been treated like a regular classmate, including all the joking around, being called the old man and all that.”
Kyle, who is getting married in September, moved back home last year to save some money for a down payment on his first house. The father and son have carpooled to NAIT together for the past eight weeks (the amount of time they’ve been away from their jobs and back in class). They’ve also spent most of their lunch breaks together. On Thursdays, Gary’s youngest Mark (also a NAIT student in the Computer Engineering Technology program), joins them.
NAIT's 2015 Convocation will be held on Friday, May 1 (6:30 p.m.) and Saturday, May 2 (8:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.) at The Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium, 11455 - 87 Ave.
NOTE TO MEDIA: Kyle and Gary will cross the stage at the Saturday morning ceremony. Please call NAIT Media Relations in advance if you plan to attend. Kyle and Gary are also available for interviews prior to Convocation.
Visit NAIT’s Flickr page (www.flickr.com/nait) to download photos of Kyle and Gary suitable for publication.
The Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) is a leading Canadian polytechnic, delivering education in science, technology and the environment; business; health and trades. With more than 60,000 credit and non-credit students and a 98 per cent employer satisfaction rate, NAIT grads are essential to Alberta’s prosperity. Known for hands-on, technology-based learning, NAIT engages with business and industry in applied research and innovation and provides corporate training around the world. Recognized as one of Alberta’s top employers, NAIT provides outstanding returns on investment for its graduates, partners, the provincial government and the people of Alberta.