In the above map, areas highlighted by the blue line indicate the boundaries of the Main Campus. Maps of the other campuses have been provided. Smoking is not allowed within NAIT's boundaries.
On July 1, 2009, all NAIT campuses became smoke free.
This means that smoking is prohibited in the Institute’s buildings, vehicles, or on any NAIT property. Campus boundaries are outlined in the following documents:
- All Campuses, including Main Campus (353K pdf)
- Souch Campus (554K pdf)
- Patricia Campus (436K pdf)
- St. Albert (589K pdf)
- NAIT Distribution Centre (265K pdf)
The Board of Governors approved the new smoke-free campus policy. The decision was made out of the desire for a healthy, safe, clean and respectful learning and work environment for staff, students and visitors together with the expressed concerns of many NAIT constituents.
The Occupational Health and Safety department continues to offer smoking reduction and educational awareness programs to help faculty and staff who wish to stop smoking or reduce their tobacco consumption.
Enforcement measures for those who are observed smoking on NAIT’s property or in its vehicles include, but are not limited to the following:
- Redirection and warning(s).
- Fine(s) in accordance with provincial legislation.
- Consistent breach of this guideline could result in disciplinary actions as outlined in the staff collective agreements and/or the Student Code of Conduct (226K pdf).
The list of Frequently Asked Questions provides details about the policy.