After You Apply
1. Use your NAIT ID number to sign-up for the MyNAIT Portal on the NAIT website.
On the MyNAIT Portal, you will be able to
- check the current status of your application
- receive further information from NAIT
2. Submit a FOIP Authorization form (Optional)
If you would like a representative (relative, friend, etc.) to be able to access information about your application at NAIT, please complete a Disclosure of Personal Information form and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Without this form, NAIT will be unable to discuss any details of your account or application with anyone besides yourself.
You must submit one of the following documents to the Office of the Registrar.
- Original documents or certified true copies of original documents by a notary public (i.e., transcripts, certifications from high school/senior secondary and post-secondary/university, if available)
- Visit the Alberta Government website English translation services | IQAS assessment for employment, education or licensure if you require Alberta translation services. Please note, although we specify original documents or certified true copies of original documents notarized by a Notary Public, we will accept word for word translations by a Commissioner For Oaths from the translation services representatives listed on the Alberta Government website ONLY.
- An official International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) course-by-course Educational Assessment
- An official World Education Services Canada (WES) course-by-course Credential Assessment
PLEASE NOTE: All documents submitted by mail or from the institution directly to NAIT become the property of the institution and are not returned to the applicant. To review NAIT’s document retention policy, please visit the Academic Regulations and Procedures.
Place your documents in an envelope along with your NAIT ID number and your full name. Send the envelope via courier to
NAIT Student Service Centre
Centre for Applied Technologies, Room CAT180
11763 106 Street
4. Pay your international document assessment fee.
The international document assessment fee should be posted on your myNAIT Portal within 5-10 business days after NAIT's Office of the Registrar receives your documents.
If you choose to submit your documents in person, the international document assessment fee will appear on your myNAIT Portal at the time the documents have been received by the Student Service Centre.
5. Pay the international document assessment fee immediately when it appears on your MyNAIT Portal. If the fee is not paid within 10 days of being posted, your application will be cancelled. Please note that cancelled applications cannot be re-opened. You will have to apply through APAS and pay the application fee again.
6. Check your MyNAIT Portal and your email (inbox and junk mailbox) weekly.
You will periodically receive
- admission status updates
- important information about fees
If you are unsure of what your application status means or you have been placed on a waitlist, refer to the Definition of NAIT Application Status (below) to ensure that you understand what your application status means.
Definition of NAIT Application Status
|Application Status||Status Defined|
|Non-competitive waitlisted||The applicant has met the minimum requirements, but s/he does not meet either the competitive requirements or has grades that are below the posted average on the program's website. NAIT will admit the next qualified applicant on the competitive waitlist when/if a seat become available. If no competitive applicants are available, applicants on the non-competitive waitlist will be offered admission.|
|Program full: waitlisted||The applicant is qualified, but there are no seats in the program. NAIT will admit the next qualified applicant when/if a seat becomes available. Positions on the waitlist are not shared with the public. Applicants must check their MyNAIT Portal to see if they have been offered admission.|
|Pending program decision||The Office of the Registrar has processed the application and the applicant meets the academic requirements, but the final admission decision was made either by the program area or when the applicant was previously accepted into the program.|
|Received||The applicant has submitted the application, but they have not met all of the requirements as per the checklist on their MyNAIT Portal.|
- Ensure you pay your tuition deposit before the due date. Check your myNAIT Portal for your due date.
- Ensure that you enrol in your classes before the enrolment deadline.
- Ensure that you apply for your study/work/co-op permit immediately. Watch Video: Guide to Canada's Work & Study Permit Application
- Connect with the NAIT International Student Centre. They will provide you with valuable information about arriving in Edmonton, housing, healthcare and living costs.
- Register for the International Student Orientation.
7. If you need help with any of the above steps, please contact askNAIT@nait.ca.
Please visit the Contacts page for domestic and international phone numbers.
8. Study Permit Denial
Please visit the Refund Policies page for information regarding tuition deposit refunds for study permit denials.