Reduce your chances of being a victim of theft by taking the following measures to safeguard your valuables while on NAIT campuses.
If you observe someone engaging in suspicious activity, contact Protective Services immediately at 780.471.7477.
Protect your locker
Locker thefts tend to occur in remote or low-traffic areas and can happen in just a few seconds.
- Always lock your locker using a high-quality lock.
- Tug on the lock before leaving to ensure it is fully engaged.
- Do not bring large sums of money or unnecessary valuables to school.
If you forget your locker combination, contact Protective Services.
Protect your laptop
Laptop theft can occur even if the laptop is old. Thieves are often just as interested in your personal information as they are the physical device.
- Don’t leave your laptop unsecured in general areas.
- Use a password to lock your laptop at all times.
- Keep your laptop out of sight when not in use, in a bag or locker.
- Never leave your laptop in your vehicle in plain view.
- Keep common-use laptops locked in a secure location when not in use.
- Label your laptop with your name and record the serial number.
Protect your vehicle
The more difficult your vehicle is to steal or break into, the less likely it will be targeted.
- Always lock your vehicle, even if you’ll only be a minute.
- Never leave your vehicle running unattended.
- Completely close your windows when parked.
- Store your valuables out of sight, in the trunk or glove box.
Protect your bike
NAIT provides secure bicycle compounds on Main Campus to store your bike and free bike racks at all campuses.
NAIT Protective Services facilitates the Safe Walk Program for those who do not feel comfortable walking around campus alone.