Since 2007, the School of Hospitality and Culinary Arts has partnered with leading culinary schools from abroad to give our students the opportunity to gain international experience. NAIT also hosts students from the exchange schools.
Each exchange is a month long. Students work in 3 different locations during this time, and go on cultural excursions. Participants are billeted with local families during the exchange. This allows the students to both live the culture of the host country and have a more home-like experience.
NAIT currently has exchange agreements with 5 international hotel and hospitality schools:
- Artusi Culinary Institute of Chianciano (Tuscany, Italy)
- Hohere Bundeslehranstalt fur Tourismus (Retz, Austria)
- Tourismus Schulen Semmering (Semmering, Austria)
- Center for Culinary Arts (Manila, Philippines)
- Tourism de Portugal
- Students from NAIT will visit Italy - May 25 to June 23, 2013
- Students from Philippines will visit NAIT - July 1-31, 2013
How to apply
Interested students must:
- be in good standing (passing grades and good attendance)
- be able to travel internationally
- be willing to attend language classes in addition to their regular course load
- write a 1,500-word essay
- provide 2 reference letters from instructors
- complete an interview with School of Hospitality faculty
Six students are selected for the exchange each year. These students are expected to participate in fundraising events. They are also expected to cover part of the costs of the exchange (approximately $500-$600).