International Exchange Program
Since 2007, the Department of Culinary Arts and Professional Food Studies has partnered with leading culinary schools from abroad to give our students the opportunity to gain international experience. NAIT also hosts students from the exchange schools.
Each exchange is a month long. Students gain experience through a stage in 3 different locations during this time, and go on cultural excursions. Participants are billeted with local families during the exchange. This allows the students to both live the culture of the host country and have a more home-like experience.
NAIT currently has exchange agreements with 5 international hotel and hospitality schools:
- Artusi Culinary Institute of Chianciano (Tuscany, Italy)
- Center for Culinary Arts (Manila, Philippines)
- Tourism de Portugal
Recent and Upcoming Exchanges
- Students from NAIT will visit Philippines - July 2018
- Students from Portugal will visit NAIT - May 2018
- Students from NAIT will visit Portugal - July 2017
- Students from Italy visited NAIT - May 2017
- Students from NAIT visited Italy - July 2016
- Students from Philippines visited NAIT - May 2016
How to apply
Interested students must:
- be in good standing (passing grades and good attendance)
- be able to travel internationally
- be willing to attend language classes in addition to their regular course load
- write a 1,500-word essay
- provide 2 reference letters from instructors
- complete an interview with Department of Culinary Arts and Professional Food Studies faculty
Six students are selected for the exchange each year. These students are expected to participate in fundraising events. They are also expected to cover part of the costs of the exchange (approximately $500-$600).