The food choices we make at NAIT's Department of Culinary Arts and Professional Food Studies affect more than just our customers. We are committed to becoming a leader in food sustainability, both on-campus and in the community.
The Department is creating an ongoing sustainable seafood program.
- We remove unsustainable species from our menus.
- We buy seafood that meets Ocean Wise standards.
- We participate in marketing and education initiatives.
Our purchasing standards support local suppliers and reduce our carbon footprint.
- We support local suppliers who demand environmental or reusable packaging.
- We limit truck traffic on campus by:
- reducing the number of deliveries per week, and
- reducing the number of contracted vendors.
Donating surplus food
The Department works with eat AT NAIT to ensure the food our students prepare does not go to waste.
- We incorporate the food our students prepare into daily features for eat AT NAIT, or package it for sale in the cafeteria's Gourmet Take Away program.
- We donate leftover and unused food to local charities:
- before long shut-downs, such as Christmas
- each week for leftover Gourmet Take Away items.
Reusing cooking oil
Our used cooking oil is sent to a processing plant to be converted into an alternative fuel source.