The NAIT Culinary Arts program provides students with relevant, high-quality culinary training. Our grads are in demand for a variety of career opportunities in leading hotels, restaurants and catering facilities.
Our students get real-world experience through:
- hands-on training in the state-of-the-art Hokanson Centre for Culinary Arts;
- preparing the dishes served in Ernest's, NAIT's acclaimed fine dining restaurant; and
- participating in work experience placements.
Culinary Arts students also have the opportunity to join Culinary Team NAIT, which competes in regional, national and international culinary competitions.
The one-year Culinary Arts Certificate focuses on developing fundamental cooking skills including:
- making stock
- preparing meats, poultry and seafood
- preparing cold foods
- preparing desserts
The practical courses are complemented by training in:
- trade math
- personal and professional management
Students who complete the Culinary Arts Certificate can take an additional year of classes to earn the Culinary Arts Diploma. The training in this year enhances students' culinary skills with principles of gastronomy and culinary management. Courses include:
- international cuisine and culture
- contemporary cuisine
- menu management
- purchasing management
Students who successfully complete the Culinary Arts Diploma can choose to write the journeyman cook exam. To become a certified journeyman cook, students must complete additional required employment hours.
- Apprenticeship information – Cook (Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training)
Culinary Arts grads also have the opportunity to take postgraduate training in Italian regional cuisine through a partnership with George Brown College. Students pursuing this training will spend:
- 2 semesters studying at George Brown College in Toronto
- 1 semester studying in Parma, Italy
NAIT Culinary Arts grads work in hotel and restaurant kitchens around the world. Other career opportunities exist in:
- culinary publishing
- product research and development
- food styling