Opticianry involves fitting and supplying eyeglasses and contact lenses. NAIT offers a variety of optical training opportunities at all levels, including:
- Ophthalmic Assistant Certificate Course
- Eyeglasses Diploma Program
- Advanced Practice Contact Lens Certificate Program
- Advanced Practice Sight Testing Certificate Program
- Automated Refracting Theory Certificate Course
- Ophthalmic Review Courses
If you would like to get into the optical field, the six-month Ophthalmic Assistant Course will give you a basic understanding of the skills required to work as an ophthalmic assistant.
If you already work for a licensed optician and would like to get your own certification, the following computer-based programs include practical training at work:
- The two-year Eyeglasses Program will give you the knowledge and skills you need to become a licensed optician.
- The one-year Advanced Practice Contact Lens Program for licensed opticians will give you the knowledge and skills you need to become licensed to dispense contact lenses.
If you are a licensed optician and want to expand your knowledge or upgrade your skills, the following programs and courses offer a review of major principles and theory:
- The Advanced Practice Sight Testing Program - advanced credit is granted for practicing contact lens practitioners
- The Automated Refracting Theory Course - teaches remote refraction procedures using automated refracting equipment
- The Ophthalmic Review Courses - refresher courses for opticians returning to the profession or those wanting to review their skills