Dr. Ray D. Block, PhD, CPA, CGA
Dr. Ray Block joined NAIT’s executive as Vice President Administration & CFO in April 2011, following more than two decades in leadership and management in a variety of sectors in Alberta, including post-secondary education, health care and financial services. He has extensive experience in
- finance and human resources
- capital projects and facilities operations
- administration systems
- legal affairs
- records management and archives
- risk management services
- procurement and contract development
- Honours Diploma in Accounting, NAIT
- Bachelor of Commerce, University of Alberta
- Certified General Accountant, Certified General Accountants Association of Alberta
- Masters of Agriculture in Agriculture Economics, University of Alberta
- Doctor of Philosophy in Public Health Sciences, University of Alberta
- While with Athabasca University as VP finance and administration, Dr. Block was responsible for capital projects including, maintaining the $30-million Academic Research Centre capital project on budget.
- Also during his time with the university, he generated more than $1.4 million in divisional savings ($5 million university wide) while avoiding staff layoffs through innovative budget strategies.
- In addition, he oversaw growth in the university’s investment strategies. At the end of the 2010 fiscal year, its bond fund was double the industry benchmark.
- As president and CEO of the Alberta Mental Health Board, Dr. Block co-chaired the implementation of a province-wide mental health plan.
- In the same role, he oversaw the completion of a $110-million geriatric and adult facility in Ponoka.
- He is also responsible for the creation of Mental Health First Aid Canada, a program to provide early mental health treatment.