Research Extension & Education
About the Program
The Boreal Research Institute (BRI) is a leader in applied forest reclamation research and has a strong track-record of knowledge transfer of applied research, regulations, and best management practices to practitioners through seminars, workshops, tours, technical notes and videos. It is one of BRI's key mandates to communicate novel research findings that are relevant to our collaborative partnerships and the general public.
Our goal is to translate research findings into best management practices to support decision-making in reclamation planning while reducing management risks and costs. The BRI is committed to the timely publication of novel techniques for reclaiming forest and peatland ecosystems in formats that are widely accessible to practitioners, industry, government, policy makers, and the general public.
The Research Extension program is jointly funded by NAIT and industry, and led by Jeannine Goehing, Program Lead.
- Promote the timely publication of relevant applied research, best management practices, and new policy and regulations
- Connect practitioners, industry, policy makers, and the public to reclamation research in the region and industry best practices
Extension Products & Events
- Technical Notes and videos
- Annual workshops, seminars, and field tours
- Peer-reviewed publications
- Decision Support System
- Boreal Nature Series
- Jeannine Goehing, Program Lead
- Catherine Brown, Boreal Science Educator
- Dr. Brad Pinno, Research Scientist, Canadian Forest Service, Northern Forestry Centre
- Dr. Erin Fraser, Senior Reforestation Specialist, Alberta Agriculture and Parks
- Dr. Simon Landhäusser, Professor, University of Alberta
- Dr. Dani Degenhardt, Research Scientist, InnoTech Alberta