Vacations & Leaves
Well-rested and energized people contribute greatly to the overall success of NAIT. With that in mind, employees are provided with a generous and flexible vacation package. Vacation is earned on a bi-weekly accrual basis, based on years of service and the employment group to which you belong.
- Academic staff - receive 45 days of vacation per academic year.
- Support & excluded staff - receive 15 days of vacation per year (increases based on your years of service).
- Management staff - receive 20 days of vacation per year (increases based on years of service).
Canadian Federal & Provincial holidays you will receive;
- New Years Day
- Family Day - Academic staff receive two days off during the week of Family Day
- Good Friday
- Victoria Day
- Canada Day - July 2nd is Canada Day when July 1st is a Sunday
- Heritage Day
- Labour Day
- Remembrance Day
- Christmas Break - The institute is closed for 11 consecutive days each year during the Christmas holiday season. All active salaried staff are granted time off with pay during the closure.
- Boxing Day
Leaves of Absence
To help you enhance your career, take care of extended personal or family matters, NAIT provides a number of leaves of absence programs, including;
- Special & Personal Emergency Leave - Unforeseen circumstances may arise that require immediate care and attention. For these occasions NAIT provides you with coverage for 10 days per year.
- Education Leave - Lifelong learning rejuvenates us all as we continue to develop and grow in our careers. Personal learning is an important part of being a learning organization. This type of leave is usually granted for approved full-time educational programs.
- Industrial and Experience Leave - The valuable industry experience of our staff is what sets NAIT apart from many other post-secondary institutions. Industrial and Experience leaves provide an opportunity for employees to get up-to-date experience in their field.
- Employee Funded Leave - Employee funded leave is a plan to defer salary, whereby the employee makes regular bi-weekly contributions (not exceeding 1/3 of the gross salary) to be accumulated in trust and available for withdrawal in bi-weekly installments during the period of leave.
- Four-For-Five Leave - This program offers an opportunity for employees to contribute 18% of salary over a period of four years and then take a salary of 82% in the fifth year to pursue other interests while retaining their position at NAIT.
- Short-Term Development Leave - This leave is for a period of less than 20 continuous working days. Generally, it's granted to attend short courses, conferences, seminars, and workshops.
- Maternity and Parental Leave