Tips for Parents and Students
To ensure a positive experience while hiking in the forest, please note the following:
- Dress in Layers
- Layers let you adjust to weather changes throughout the day.
- Long pants and long sleeved shirts also protect from scratches, insect bites and sun burns.
- Wear a Hat
- A hat is a great insulator to keep you cool or warm and to protect from insect bites.
- Wear Proper Footwear
- Runners or boots. No sandals!
- Water Bottles and Snacks
- Pack sufficient food and water for a day outside.
- Whatever you bring in, you must take home, recycle or dispose of properly.
- Bring Rain Gear
- Rain jacket and pants or poncho.
- Please leave umbrellas at home.
- Sunscreen and Bug Spray
- Apply at home. Students will have less to carry, and are less likely to over-apply.
Tips for Teachers
In preparation for our field day, please be aware of the following rules of the trail:
- Be Respectful: The forest is a living ecosystem.
- Take only memories
- We expect hundreds of students to visit the parks each year.
- Please refrain from collecting 'treasures', and leave the park as you find it.
- Garbage and recycling
- Please ensure all garbage is placed in bins provided.
- Please ensure juice/pop/water bottle containers are placed in the recycle bins provided.
- Leader at the front/children in the middle/adult at the back so that:
- Children do not take the wrong trail
- Chance of wildlife encounters are reduced
- No one is left behind