What to Expect
Learning is split equally between theory in the classroom, practical experience in an automotive lab equipped with vehicle components and in a shop where students work on customer vehicles. A three-week practicum is scheduled during the program. During the practicum, students should expect to work up to 40 hours per week.
Classroom & Study Hours
Students can expect to spend
- 30 hours per week attending classes
- 2 hours per evening minimum studying, for a total of 10 hours per week
- 40 hours per week working during the practicum period
Is This Program For You?
To be successful, automotive service technicians need
- good hearing and eyesight
- good manual dexterity
- mechanical aptitude and interest
- the ability to lift heavy components and parts
- the ability to keep up to date with changing technology
- a working knowledge of electricity, electronics and computers
The School of Skilled Trades wants our first-year students to become confident in their abilities, get connected to NAIT through groups, peers and staff, be supported personally and academically, get motivated to complete their program and most importantly enjoy the learning environment here at NAIT.
Being an apprentice student is quite different from being a full-time student. Apprentices are in school for short periods of time and some programs are on satellite campuses. Our goal is to improve communication with apprentices on all campuses to ensure you have access to all the services we have to offer at NAIT for you to be successful.
If there is something you are looking for or if you need additional information, please contact us at email@example.com.