About the Program
The Biological Sciences Technology program specializing in Environmental Sciences, is a 2 year diploma program. The first semester is common to all Biological Sciences students, and the remaining 3 semesters are spent learning specifically about Environmental Sciences.
- environmental sampling and monitoring of air, surface water, groundwater and soil
- environmental site assessment
- contaminated sites remediation and reclamation
- hazardous waste identification and management
- environmental legislation
Faculty and students in the School of Applied Sciences and Technology are actively involved in applied research projects, working with industry partners to solve real business challenges.
- Boreal Research Institute - The Boreal Research Institute (BRI) develops scientifically based best practices and applied technologies to address present and emerging knowledge gaps in the management and reclamation of disturbed landscapes. We are committed to enhancing the innovation capacity and competitiveness of our industry partners, and small and medium-sized enterprises, through the timely publication of technical information and ready access to our research expertise and technology.
The BRI regularly hires field assistants to support our team of scientists in field and laboratory operations. Keep an eye on our careers page for new job postings!
Tuition & Fees (Cost per semester)
Cost Per Credit: $180
Tuition Cap: $1,940
Health & Dental: $132
Rec. & Athletics: $70
Books, Supplies & Program Fees (est.)
Semester 1: $1050
Semester 2: $750
Semester 3: $850
Semester 4: $550
Please note: This information is provided to help you estimate your costs for student financing. Some courses may also have additional expenses. Students who take all of their courses online are exempt from U-Pass, Health & Dental, and Recreation & Athletics fees. All fees are subject to change.
- Grade 12 English
- Math 30-1 or 30-2 or Pure Math 30 or Applied Math 30 or Physics 30
- Chemistry 30
- Biology 30
View the English Language Proficiency Requirements for the Program: NAIT | English Language Proficiency
Additional Requirements and Considerations
Students are required to have their immunization for Tetanus and Diptheria. A form will be provided that must be filled out by a healthcare professional (a Doctor or a Public Health Nurse).
Laptop Requirements:Students are required to provide their own laptops for the duration of their studies at NAIT. Extensive use of computers in industry has changed how technologists work and additional knowledge and skill are expected from our grads. The NAIT campus provides a wireless environment for students to use. NAIT will also provide a virtual environment (VDI) for the students to access course related software. The VDI model will allow students to access software and work on projects both on and off campus.
Recommended Laptop Requirements:
- Minimum of 12 inch display (minimum 24-bit colour depth)
- Intel quad-core i5 - 2.2 GHz minimum
- 8 GB RAM; 500 GB hard drive
- Microsoft Windows
- 2.5" USB 3.0 portable hard drive (for backups)
- 8 GB USB 3.0 flash drive (16GB or larger recommended)
- Wireless mouse (Bluetooth preferred)
- Video/Graphics adaptor 256MB RAM (NVIDIA, ATI, and Intel chipsets supported) may be required.
Notes: Apple laptops are STRONGLY DISCOURAGED. Often there are NO MAC VERSIONS of the required software. Previous semesters have shown that Apple laptops are often incompatible with some of the software we use. Microsoft Office 365 will be provided to students for free. Students are responsible for the service and repair of their own computers. NAIT Tech Support will be available to assist with software licensing and installation issues as much as possible. If you have any questions please contact either the School of Applied Sciences and Technology or our program by email.
- Power extension cord (minimum 3 meter length)
- A method for Backup Storage of Files such as online "Cloud" storage (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) or a larger USB external hard drive is recommended
- Up-to-date Virus protection for your computer.
Scholarships & Bursaries
For general application and special selections, ranging from $500 to $5,000, see Scholarships & Bursaries.