Where it Can Take You
Civil Engineering Technology graduates find employment with:
- various provincial and federal government departments
- engineering consultants
- general contractors
- construction companies
- manufacturers seeking technical representatives
Graduates also find positions as lab technologists testing construction materials such as soil, concrete, and asphalt. Other areas of employment for Civil Engineering Technologists include estimating, project management, and specialists in computer-aided design & drafting (CADD).
Their expertise is used in offices, laboratories and construction sites. The scope of their work may include
- supervising or administration of construction
Opportunities for advancement include supervisory or administrative positions such as:
- construction superintendents
- project or town engineering technologists
- technical supervisors
- testing services supervisors
- chief estimators
- project inspectors
- public works managers
- technical and specification writers
What successful grads have to say
"If you want to be able to hit the ground running, you've got to be a lot more than just textbook smart, and as far as I'm concerned NAIT excels in that department." Watch Shawn's story in this video.
Graduate Information & Opportunities
Pre/Post Graduation Affiliation
Graduates are eligible for membership with the Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta (ASET).
- Students who complete all first-year courses may be eligible for certification by ASET as a Certified Engineering Technician (C.Tech.).
- Graduates of the full two-year program are eligible for certification by ASET as a Certified Engineering Technologist (C.E.T.).
Both certifications will require additional requirements as outlined in the ASET certification guidelines. Additional requirements include a required number of years of approved work experience as well as successful completion of ASET's Professional Practice Exam. For more information on membership, visit ASET's site.
Further Career Enhancement Courses
Refer to the Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta website for further information.
Advanced Credit Possibilities
Graduates are eligible for 2 years advanced credit in NAIT's Bachelor of Technology in Technology Management (BTech-TM) program.
Graduates wishing to continue their studies at other institutions may be granted advance credits at selected Canadian and American universities. A NAIT Civil Engineering Technology graduate can earn a degree in engineering at either of the following:
- Lakehead University in Thunder Bay, Ontario (2 years and 6 weeks)
- Camosun College Civil Engineering Bridge, University of British Columbia (2 years and 6 months)
- Please note: Post-secondary articulation agreements within Alberta are approved by the Alberta Council on Admissions and Transfer (ACAT). To view the details of specific agreements, please visit transferalberta.ca or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- For questions regarding transfer agreements or to obtain a course description/outline that is no longer available on our website, please contact email@example.com