What to Expect
The Civil Engineering Technology program is delivered via the following settings:
- classrooms lecture
- computer labs
- geotechnical labs
- field surveying
Classroom & Study Hours
Students can expect to spend on average
- 27 hours per week attending classes and labs over the course of the 2-year program.
- 20-45 hours per week studying, completing assignments and doing research.
Students in the co-op stream can expect to spend
- A 6 month work placement (May through October) following the first year in work placements
- one 12 week and one 13 week semester of academic study at NAIT
- A second 6 month work placement
- A final 8 week semester of academic study at NAIT
Is This Program For You?
An interest in and an aptitude for applied sciences, especially those with a physics base, is a definite asset to anyone considering this program.
Applying for the co-op programUse the same application instructions and procces as the full-time program.
Skills you will acquire
Graduates of the Civil Engineering Technology program will have skills in:
- designing, drafting, surveying, testing, inspecting, and supervising transportation and land development projects
- project management including specifications, estimating, scheduling, and supervising
- designing and drafting of wood, steel, and reinforced concrete buildings and structures
- design and quality control of soils, concrete and asphalt for engineering projects
- researching and presenting technical documents using computer applications
- highway design/geomatics
- urban services design
- geotechnical design
- pavement design
- applied research
- use of computers in engineering tasks