Where it Can Take You
Graduates of this program are generally employed by:
- machine shops
- manufacturing plants
- engine rebuilding shops
- tool and equipment supply companies
- production equipment repair shops
- tool and die shops
- mould-making shops
Graduates may also have the opportunity to become indentured apprentices with support from their employers.
For more information on roles, duties, career paths, salaries and more, visit:
Graduate Information & Opportunities
Machinist Apprenticeship Program
Students who maintain a specified level of marks will be allowed to challenge the year 1 apprenticeship exam. There is a cost to write the apprenticeship exam that is paid directly to Alberta and Industry Training at the time of the exam.
Advanced apprenticeship standing is available to individuals who apply to the apprenticeship program after finding work in the machine shop industry. For more information please contact your local Apprenticeship and Industry Training Office toll-free at 780.310.0000, in Edmonton at 1.800.248.4823, or at www.tradesecrets.org.
Continuing your studies
NAIT offers a number of part-time courses through Continuing Education to further enhance your career, including
- Introduction to Basic Machining Industrial Skills (MAC150)
- Basic Machining Centre Operation (MACH201)
- Intermediate Machining Centre Operations (MACH202)
- Advanced Machining Centre Operations (MACH203)
- Basic Turning Centre Operation (MACH301)
- Intermediate Turning Centre Operation (MACH302)
- Advanced Turning Centre Operations (MACH303)
- Machine Shop I (MACH101)
- Machine Shop II (MACH105)
- Machine Shop III (MACH110)
- Machine Shop IV (MACH115)
- Mastercam Level I - Miling (MACH620)
- Mastercam Level II - Lathe (MACH625)
Additional professional association courses are available through the Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME).
- Please note: Post-secondary articulation agreements within Alberta are approved by the Alberta Council on Admissions and Transfer (ACAT). To view the details of specific agreements, please visit transferalberta.ca or contact email@example.com
- For questions regarding transfer agreements or to obtain a course description/outline that is no longer available on our website, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org