Where it Can Take You
Typical employers include:
- private medical laboratories
- hospital laboratories
- cancer detection centres
- research facilities
With further education and experience, the cytotechnologist may move from a junior position to a senior or supervisory position in the laboratory. Administrative, teaching and marketing positions are also available in the cytotechnology field.
For more information on career paths, duties, working conditions and salaries, visit:
- Alberta Occupational Profiles - Pathologist
- Alberta Wage and Salary Survey - WAGEinfo - Medical Laboratory Technologists and Pathologists' Assistants
Graduate Information & Opportunities
Graduates are eligible to challenge examinations set by the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) to obtain national certification as a registered Cytotechnologist in Canada. Advanced levels of certification are possible through the Society. Post-diploma degree programs are available at some post-secondary institutes in Canada.
Continuing your studies
Graduates of the Cytotechnology program are eligible for credit toward:
- Bachelor of Technology in Technology Management (BTech-TM), NAIT
- Bachelor of Science - Human Sciences, Athabasca University
- Bachelor of Health Sciences, Thompson Rivers University
- Bachelor of Technology, Memorial University of Newfoundland
- Bachelor of Applied Management University of New Brunswick
Internationally recognized credentials may be obtained from the American Society of Clinical Pathologists. Some U.S. states recognize NAIT as an approved training school and recognize CSMLS certification.
Professional Association Courses
Professional development courses are offered through the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (http://www.csmls.org/).
- Please note: Post-secondary articulation agreements within Alberta are approved by the Alberta Council on Admissions and Transfer (ACAT). To view the details of specific agreements, please visit transferalberta.ca or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- For questions regarding transfer agreements or to obtain a course description/outline that is no longer available on our website, please contact email@example.com