About the Program
The art, science and practice of managing forests and related resources (also known as forestry) is a rapidly intensifying technical field. Forest ecosystems are one of the most important components of our biosphere, which is why this scientific field has emerged as a vital component to solving the environmental challenges we face today. The Forest Technology program is designed to train technologists with skill sets that allow them to plan and carry out resource management activities without compromising the integrity or sustainability of the ecosystems in which they practise.
Tuition & Fees (Cost per semester)
Cost Per Credit: $180
Tuition Cap: $1,940
Health & Dental: $128
Rec. & Athletics: $70
Books, Supplies & Program Fees (est.)
Semester 1: $3,000
Semester 2: $250
Semester 3: $1,000
Semester 4: $250
Please note: This information is provided to help you estimate your costs for student financing. Some courses may also have additional expenses. Students who take all of their courses online are exempt from U-Pass, Health & Dental, and Recreation & Athletics fees. All fees are subject to change.
- Grade 12 English
- Pure Math 30 or Math 30-1 or 30-2 or Applied Math 30
- Two of: Chemistry 20, Biology 20, Physics 20, or Science 30
View the English Language Proficiency Requirements for the Program: NAIT | English Language Proficiency
- First Aid - Standard First Aid and CPR Heartsaver certificate are required for admission into this program.
- Driver's License - An Alberta Class 5 driver's licence is highly recommended and is a requirement for most jobs in forestry.
Students are required to have laptop computers for the duration of their studies at NAIT. This is referred to as BYOD (bring your own device) model. Extensive use of computers, in industry, has changed the way tasks are accomplished by technologists; this provides the students with the opportunity to learn widely used professional software. The NAIT campus provides a wireless environment for students to use. NAIT will also provide a virtual environment (VDI) for the students to access course related software. The VDI model will allow students to access software and work on projects both on campus and off. The Forest Technology program uses graphic intensive software applications that require well-configured computers.
Recommended Laptop Requirements
- 15.6 inch display (minimum 24-bit colour depth)
- Intel quad-core i5 - 2.2 GHz minimum
- 8 GB RAM
- 500 GB hard drive
- Microsoft Windows
- 2.5" USB 3.0 portable hard drive (for backups)
- 8 GB USB 3.0 flash drive (16GB or larger recommended)
- Wireless mouse (Bluetooth preferred)
- Video/Graphics adaptor 256MB RAM (NVIDIA, ATI, and Intel chipsets supported)
- A GPS enabled Android tablet is required for Semester 2 and 3:
- Precise location (GPS and network-based) support (cellular data is not required)
- A ruggedized Otter box case (or similar)
- Power extension cord - minimum 3 meter length
- Method for Backup Storage of Files - Online "Cloud" storage (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.).
- Microsoft OneDrive for Business will be provided to students for free
- A 500GB or larger USB external hard drive would be an asset as well
- Students should have up-to-date Virus protection on their computer
- Apple laptops are STRONGLY DISCOURAGED. There are NO MAC VERSIONS of the required software. Previous semesters have shown that Apple laptops have frequent incompatibility issues with some of the software
- Microsoft Office 365 will be provided to students for free.
- Students are responsible for the service and repair of their own computers
- NAIT Tech Support will be available to assist with software licensing and installation issues as much as possible
If you have any questions please contact by email either the School of Sustainable Building and Environmental Management (SSBEM) Technical Support at SSBEMTech@nait.ca or the Forest Technology Program Assistant at email@example.com.
Transfer credit - successful graduates from the Portage College Forest Technician program will be granted one year of advanced credit in the Forest Technology program at NAIT, provided they meet the prerequisites for the program.
Scholarships & Bursaries
For general application and special selections, ranging from $500 to $5,000, see Scholarships & Bursaries.