What to Expect
The Emergency Medical Technology - Paramedic program involves the study of human anatomy and physiology, diagnosis and treatment of patients in a variety of medical and trauma emergencies, advanced procedures in emergency care, emergency equipment and mobile communication systems. Physical conditioning is also emphasized. Paramedic training is provided to the student through facilities at NAIT, active treatment hospitals, advanced life support ambulance services and other allied emergency services. Level 2 of the program contains the final ambulance and hospital practicum.
A number of course hours must be completed off campus and involve weekend and shift work. The student may be required to travel outside the Edmonton region for a practicum.
Classroom & Study Hours
Students can expect to spend, on average
- 28 hours per week attending classes over the course of a semester.
- 15 to 20 hours per week studying and completing class assignments.
Is This Program For You?
Prospective students must be mature and highly motivated to deal with the stress of emergency care, critical care, shift work and a difficult training program. Paramedics must think independently, exercise good judgment, communicate effectively with others and work well in multidisciplinary environments.
Learn more about what it's like to be a student in the School of Health and Life Sciences, and how it prepares you for a successful career.
- Alumni profiles – hear what our grads have to say about their NAIT education and how it has contributed to their careers.
- Student profiles – why do students choose NAIT? What's it like to be a student in the Health and Life Sciences programs? Find out from the students themselves.
- Clubs – a NAIT education extends well beyond the classroom. Find out how the Dental Assisting Club is making a real difference in our community.
- Awards and recognition – the quality of our programs and instruction shows! Our students and graduates excel at all levels.
- Video galleries – watch our students at work, see what they do and listen to why they've chosen the School of Health and Life Sciences.
- Photo galleries – get a view of our classrooms, facilities, equipment and laboratories.