Where it Can Take You
To meet today's challenges, highly skilled, well-trained personnel are needed to operate and maintain the wide variety of systems now in use. They monitor and operate control systems and equipment in water and wastewater treatment plants, and water distribution and wastewater collection systems.
Most water and wastewater operators are employed in public works departments in cities, towns and villages, where they may be responsible for water and sewer line repair and street maintenance. This may involve pick and shovel work or operating machines such as pneumatic jack hammers, graders and backhoes.
In small plants, water and wastewater technicians may operate water distribution systems, wastewater collection systems and treatment systems. In larger plants, they are usually assigned to a particular treatment or process area.
To see some of our NAIT alumni in action, watch this 5 minute video: Water and Wastewater Careers (video produced by Western Canada Water).
Graduates may find employment with:
- Contractors involved in the installation of water and wastewater systems
- Companies supplying and/or servicing water and wastewater materials and equipment
- Regional water or wastewater boards
- The federal government
- Private utility companies
- Large industrial plants
- Provincial parks
- Engineering consulting firms
- Operator training services
- Municipal engineering firms
Graduate Information & Opportunities
Students who have completed all the course work and have obtained an appropriate amount of work experience may be eligible to write Alberta Environment Water and Wastewater Operator Certification examinations.
Professional Association Courses
- Alberta Operators Association
- Western Canada Water & Wastewater Association
- Alberta Environment
- Please note: Post-secondary articulation agreements within Alberta are approved by the Alberta Council on Admissions and Transfer (ACAT). To view the details of specific agreements, please visit transferalberta.ca or contact email@example.com
- For questions regarding transfer agreements or to obtain a course description/outline that is no longer available on our website, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org