What to Expect
- veterinary clinic administrative procedures, record keeping using veterinary software, labelling and dispensing of veterinary products
- animal diseases, veterinary terminology, pharmaceutical and nutritional products
- basic animal handling and restraint
Completion of this certificate qualifies for advanced credit for two courses (ANBH1170 and MRMG1170) in NAIT’s Animal Health Technology diploma program.
Classroom & Study Hours
Students can expect to spend, on average:
- 26 hours per week attending classes over the course of a semester.
- 15 to 20 hours per week studying and completing class assignments.
Is This Program For You?
A Veterinary Medical Assistant must be a self-starter who has:
a genuine interest in animals and their welfare
the ability to remain calm under pressure
excellent interpersonal skills
strong oral and written communication skills
physical capacity for lifting bending and animal restraint
Successful graduates are outgoing and able to put clients at ease.
A wealth of hands-on learning opportunities, practical experience with the equipment and technology used in today's medical facilities, and working with real patients in a controlled teaching environment are cornerstones of programs in NAIT's School of Health and Life Sciences.
This means that you'll get both in-depth knowledge and hands-on skills – a combination that gives you a valuable head start in building a strong future.
As a student in the School of Health and Life Sciences, see how it prepares you for a successful career.
- Alumni profiles – hear what our grads have to say about their NAIT education and how it has contributed to their careers.
- Student profiles – why do students choose NAIT? What's it like to be a student in the Health and Life Sciences programs? Find out from the students themselves.
- Clubs – a NAIT education extends well beyond the classroom. Find out how the Dental Assisting Club is making a real difference in our community.
- Awards and recognition – the quality of our programs and instruction shows! Our students and graduates excel at all levels.
- Video galleries – watch our students at work, see what they do and listen to why they've chosen the School of Health and Life Sciences.
- Photo galleries – get a view of our classrooms, facilities, equipment and laboratories.