Where it Can Take You
Graduates of Network Engineering Technology can expect to find entry-level employment in computer or data communications systems areas, in roles such as data systems specialist, network analyst, network support specialist, and systems analyst.
Major skills you will learn
- Analysis of network services, including performance measurement, security, layer functions and protocols
- Computer hardware configuration, installation and troubleshooting
- Network planning, design and implementation
- Implementing security measures and policies
- Install, configure, and operate Linux and Windows Server opearting systems
Successful Network Engineering Technology graduates display the following attributes:
- analytical thinking/problem-solving skills
- good oral and written communication skills
- good interpersonal skills
- the ability to work in teams
- a desire for lifelong learning
What successful grads have to say
Networks connect everyone to everything. The career prospects for NET graduates are plentiful.
As an advisory member of the NET program since 2003, I have watched it evolve over the years. It is a program that truly does stay current with industry providing excellent value to the students. Graduates are given a serious edge in the field of IT.
Being a NAIT graduate has allowed me to hold a number of different positions in a variety of fields over the last 34 years. I have worked in the USA and Mexico for Nortel Networks as a Senior Instructor, Senior Manager Network Implementation (Western Canada) for AT&T Canada. I am currently the Communications Manager for Sureway Construction in Edmonton. The foundation skills received at NAIT have allowed me to have a diverse 34+ year career in the Electronics Industry; I have witnessed many changes over the years from bytes to TeraBytes, floppy disks to flash drives. As a NAIT graduate I have had the privilege of being involved with the NAIT NET advisory committee for many years, assisting with the evolution of the NET program to what it is today and for the future.
Being a member of the NET Advisory Committee for several years now, I’ve seen firsthand the complexity, methodology, and time it takes to put the NET course together so that the end result is the student has the best industry knowledge and tools. The best industry trained student is the reward for all the staff and volunteer committee members that have devoted a great number of hours. I would definitely recommend this program to any prospective student.
As some who had worked outside of school for several years, going back to school was a daunting idea. During my investigation of the options that NAIT provided, the NET program stuck out to me as a program that would be challenging as well as interesting. The course provided me with fundamental and unique experience that has allowed me to excel within the professional IT industry. After graduating, I easily found work with the broad range of skills I acquired while at NAIT, and hit the ground running with the emerging technologies I was introduced to.
Graduate Information & Opportunities
Continuing your studies
Network Engineering Technology graduates can transfer directly into the following two degree programs offered at NAIT.
- Bachelor of Applied Information Technology in Network Management (BAIST-NM)
- Bachelor of Technology in Technology Management (BTech-TM)
Graduates who further their studies may be granted advanced credit at Canadian universities like University of Athabasca, University of Alberta and/or University of Calgary. Graduates are encouraged to reference Transfer Alberta for the most up-to-date transferable credit. To ensure credit is granted, please check with the institution to which you are applying.
- Please note: Post-secondary articulation agreements within Alberta are approved by the Alberta Council on Admissions and Transfer (ACAT). To view the details of specific agreements, please visit transferalberta.ca or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- For questions regarding transfer agreements or to obtain a course description/outline that is no longer available on our website, please contact email@example.com