About the Program
Medical transcriptionists are healthcare documentation specialists who primarily edit dictated medical reports. The use of electronic medical record and voice-recognition technology has increased the importance of ensuring the accuracy of a patient’s medical documentation as more medical professionals access and rely on this record. Transcriptionists play a vital role as part of the medical team.
Through a combination of academic and skill-building courses, the one-year Medical Transcription program teaches students about medical transcription, medical and pharmaceutical terminology, anatomy and physiology, medical office procedures and business communications. Because they build speed and accuracy through structured testing levels, students who successfully complete this short, intensive program are able to listen, transcribe and edit doctors' dictated medical reports. As such, they play a key role in the health information management team by providing records used by other medical specialists.
Students are required to purchase Medical Transcription (MT) Client Software to support their learning, available in person through the Main Campus shop AT NAIT (fees for this software are subject to change depending on the current US dollar exchange rate). MT Client Software is incompatible with a Mac computer. It requires Windows.
Note: When selecting a laptop to use for the courses in this program, consider the following: lightweight, number of USB ports, and extra power pack to keep laptop charged all day. It must be able to operate in a Windows environment and run Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, & Excel. If you require more information, contact the program. Fees for books and supplies might be subject to change.
Tuition & Fees (Cost per semester)
Cost Per Credit: $223
Tuition Cap: $2,085
Health & Dental: $128
Rec. & Athletics: $70
Books, Supplies & Program Fees (est.)
Semester 1: $1,500
Semester 2: $1,000
Please note: This information is provided to help you estimate your costs for student financing. Some courses may also have additional expenses. Students who take all of their courses online are exempt from U-Pass, Health & Dental, and Recreation & Athletics fees. All fees are subject to change.
- 70% in Grade 12 English
English Language Proficiency requirements are currently under review for the 2017 - 2018 Academic Cycle.
View the English Language Proficiency Requirements for the Program: NAIT | English Language Proficiency
- Typing Test - Applicants must submit a proctored certified typing test with a minimum of 40 net words per minute and 90% accuracy as part of the application process. Take a look at the Typing Test Instructions (pdf) to find out what's required and how to register.
Effective October 1, 2016, all new keyboarding test assessments will have an expiry date of 1 year from the date of assessment. Any typing tests previously submitted must be valid (within one year) at the time of application.
- BYOD - Bring your own device
- English Language Requirements - As English is the language of instruction in all programs at NAIT, you must have a fluent knowledge of written and spoken English as a prerequisite for admission. Regardless of country of origin or citizenship status, you must demonstrate English language proficiency prior to being accepted. For more information, please see English Language Proficiency.
English Language Proficiency requirements are currently under review for the 2017 - 2018 Academic Cycle
- Please note: This program only accepts TOEFL iBT or IELTS.
- English as an Additional Language Applicants - Medical Transcription is a specialized language program. Students who do not have English as a first language (ESL students) may encounter significant difficulties in this program. It is strongly recommended that ESL students discuss their potential for success with the program staff prior to applying.
Students are required to have laptop computers for the duration of their studies at NAIT. This is referred to as a BYOD (bring your own device) model. The NAIT campus provides a wireless environment for students to use. NAIT also provides a virtual environment (VDI) for students to access course-related software. The VDI model allows students to access software and work on projects both on campus and off. The Medical Transcription program uses web-based applications and downloadable programs.
Recommended Laptop Requirements
Shop At NAIT provides PowerPaks designed for the School of Health & Life Sciences
- Cordless keyboard and mouse are required
- Windows 10
- Fully licensed Word 2013 or 2016 (Start-Up or Cloud (office 365) versions will not work)
- Students should have up-to-date Virus protection on their computer
- Apple laptops are STRONGLY DISCOURAGED. The MT Client program is incompatible with a MAC.
- Microsoft Office 365 will be provided to students for free.
- NAIT Tech Support will be available to assist with software licensing and installation issues as much as possible.
- Loaner laptops will be available in the event of catastrophic system or hardware failure on a temporary basis. Student success is a priority.
- Students should not leave their computers in their hallway lockers at any time. NAIT takes no responsibility for hardware or software compliance.
If you have any questions, please contact the Medical Transcription Program Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org or 780-471-7876.
Scholarships & Bursaries
|Coca-Cola Bottling Ltd. Award||$500.00||1|
|Coca-Cola Bottling Ltd. Scholarship I||$1000||7|
|Coca-Cola Bottling Ltd. Scholarship II||$1000||4|
|Health Information Management Association of Alberta Scholarship - Spring||$500.00||1|
|International Health and Life Sciences Scholarship||$2500||1|
|Northlands Park - MTR Spring||$300||1|
For general application and special selections, ranging from $500 to $5,000, see Scholarships & Bursaries.