In industry, there is a continuing need for technologists with a knowledge of engineering materials and skills in design, selection, testing, quality control, materials and product certification and processing.
Materials engineering technologists find employment at competitive salaries in organizations of all sizes, and in environments ranging from offices and laboratories to the outdoors. They work in
- materials processing (producing steel, nickel, plastics and ceramics)
- equipment manufacturing (pressure vessel design and manufacturing, oilfield equipment, mining equipment, electronics components, aircraft components, auto components)
- industrial services used by the processing industries (e.g., non-destructive inspection, corrosion testing and control, failure investigations, materials certification).
Graduates have also found employment in government, private research laboratories and technical sales careers.
For more information on career paths, duties, working conditions and salaries, visit:
- Alberta Occupational Profiles - Materials Engineering Technologist
- Alberta Wage and Salary Survey - Industrial Engineering and Manufacturing Technologists and Technicians
What successful grads have to say
Writes Tim: "I am one person who honestly had very little idea of what the Materials Engineering Technology program at NAIT would entail. I knew I wanted to enter a program that would be applicable in a wide variety of industries and provide good-quality opportunities for employment. I graduated from the MET program in 2006 and, looking back, I would say that this program exceeded expectations in both areas. Most of my fellow students and I were fortunate enough to be recruited for challenging jobs before completing the program, and with better than average pay. The learnings that I have acquired from the MET program have enabled me to “hit the ground running.” The course material and instruction from the MET program have allowed me to apply all facets of my knowledge acquired to the job I currently enjoy."
Writes Mark: "Taking the Materials Engineering Technology program at NAIT has provided the framework for a successful career. The practicality and hands-on technical experience has allowed me to make informed decisions to augment my career choices. I highly recommend this program."
Graduate Information & Opportunities
Graduates meet the lecture and lab requirements specified in the Canadian General Standards Board certification standard and for Level I RT and UT and Level II MPI and LPI. Students will be eligible for NDE certification on completion of suitable work experience and an eye examination.
After gaining suitable work experience in various non-destructive testing techniques, graduates of the Materials Engineering Technology program are eligible to write the Canadian General Standards Board examinations for certification in radiography, ultrasonics, magnetic particle, and liquid penetrant testing. Those working in welding testing or inspection may apply to the Canadian Welding Bureau to become certified welding inspectors.
The Alberta Society of Engineering Technologists (ASET) offers professional certification for graduates who have 2 years successful experience in industry.
Pre/Post Graduation Affiliation
Students and graduates are encouraged to join technical organizations such as
- the American Society for Metals
- the National Association of Corrosion Engineers
- the Alberta Society of Engineering Technologists
- the Canadian Society for Non-Destructive Testing
- American Iron and Steel Institute (USA)
- American Petroleum Institute (USA)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (USA)
- American Society for Testing and Materials (USA)
- American Society for Quality Control
- American Welding Society (USA)
- Canadian General Standards Board (Canada)
- National Association of Corrosion Engineers (USA)
- Society of Automotive Engineers (USA)
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers
Advanced Credit Possibilities
Graduates of the Materials Engineering Technology program are eligible to enter the third year of NAIT's Bachelor of Technology in Technology Management Degree Program.