What to Expect
Course delivery is based on the lecture/lab model supported by field trips and guest speakers. Classrooms accommodate lectures and group discussions. Labs are fully equipped with modern equipment to give students a full understanding of the function and operation of various mechanical systems including computers, hydraulics, machining, etc.
Classroom & Study Hours
Students can expect to spend
- 27 hours per week in classes and labs.
- 25 hours per work outside of classes completing homework and study assignments.
- Machine Shop
- PLC Controls and Automation
- Solid Modelling
Is This Program For You?
Prospective students usually have an appreciation for engineering principles with a strong leaning toward creativity and practicality. To be successful, graduates must possess:
- sound people and personal skills, including working as a team player
- effective listening and written communication skills
- attention to detail
- personal initiative
- professionalism with colleagues and customers
- a commitment to lifelong learning
- a mechanical aptitude to assist in problem-solving and design
MEC Co-Op Option
Click here for more information.
Skills you will acquire
- design of mechanical components, assemblies and systems
- specifications for machining operations/production methods and tooling for the manufacture of metal parts
- cost estimating for fabrication, pressure vessels, construction, manufacturing, piping systems and projects
- selection and evaluation of machinery
- layout design for office, warehouse and plant
- production activity evaluation
- methods analysis techniques using quality-management and quality-control tools
Teams of Mechanical Engineering Technology students compete in a "mousetrap challenge" - a fun and friendly competition that tests them to apply engineering principles to solve a unique puzzle, and even counts for extra marks. A typical challenge: design a system that will lift a hockey puck 50 mm out of a hole and transport it 2 m, using the power of just 2 mousetraps.
Says Jeff: "The instructors at NAIT want to see you succeed, and encourage you to keep in touch even after you have graduated and moved into the workforce. This attitude - that you're not in it alone - inspires you to want to achieve your highest."