About the Program
The NAIT Culinary Arts program provides students with relevant, high-quality culinary training. Our grads are in demand for a variety of career opportunities in leading hotels, restaurants and catering facilities. Our students get real-world experience through
- hands-on training in the state-of-the-art Hokanson Centre for Culinary Arts
- preparing the dishes served in Ernest's, NAIT's acclaimed fine dining restaurant
- participating in work experience placements
Culinary Arts students also have the opportunity to join Culinary Team NAIT, which competes in regional, national and international culinary competitions.
Chef in Residence Program
The Department of Culinary Arts and Professional Food Studies' unique Chef in Residence program provides students with the rare opportunity to learn first-hand from some of the best chefs in the world. This ongoing program will bring culinary authorities from around the world to NAIT to share their insights and expertise with students and faculty. The goal of the Chef in Residence program is to expose students to innovative cooking techniques and diverse culinary trends and styles.
Currently, NAIT has a basic cheese-making section in the Culinary Arts program's Garde Manger (cold kitchen) training. The Artisanal Cheese Fundamentals Project will expand on this section by developing a full cheese-making course.
Tuition & Fees (Cost per semester)
Cost Per Credit: $180
Tuition Cap: $1,940
Health & Dental: $132
Rec. & Athletics: $70
Books, Supplies & Program Fees (est.)
Semester 1: $1850
Semester 2: $650
Semester 3: $500
Semester 4: $325
Please note: This information is provided to help you estimate your costs for student financing. Some courses may also have additional expenses. Students who take all of their courses online are exempt from U-Pass, Health & Dental, and Recreation & Athletics fees. All fees are subject to change.
- Grade 10 English
- Grade 10 Math (10, 13, Applied, Pure, 10-3, 10C)
- Competitive Entrance - 60% overall average or successful completion of the Professional Meat Cutting and Merchandising program.
View the English Language Proficiency Requirements for the Program: NAIT | English Language Proficiency
Students from the following colleges are eligible for block transfer credit to the Culinary Arts program.
- Northern Lights College – Professional Cook Training
- Northwest Community College – Culinary Arts Certificate
- Portage College – Cooking Certificate
- SIAST – Professional Cooking
- Yukon College – Culinary Arts
Scholarships & Bursaries
For general application and special selections, ranging from $500 to $5,000, see Scholarships & Bursaries.