What to Expect
The Geomatics Engineering Technology program emphasizes the use of new technologies for data collection, including electronic equipment for measuring, earth circling satellites for positioning and computers for processing data and generating plans for use in a wide variety of professional disciplines.
Classroom & Study Hours
Students can expect to spend, on average:
- 27 hours per week attending classes over the course of a semester.
- 20 - 30 hours per week studying and completing class assignments.
- There are four (4) Technical Communication courses in this program.
- Students participate in outdoor field classes one day per week, regardless of the weather.
Is This Program For You?
Students that are successful in this program have a strong aptitude for mathematics and are comfortable working in an outdoor environment. They possess strong organizational skills and understand the importance of keeping good records.
Students in this program will learn to:
- Use 'state of the art' technology and equipment to collect information for various types of surveys.
- Use computers to plan projects, prepare project layouts, reduce field data, prepare plans and work with geographic information systems.
Women in Technology and Trades
The Geomatics Engineering Technology program is supported by Women in Technology and Trades (WITT), an offering of NAIT Student Engagement. The goal of WITT is to ensure that all female students are aware of and prepared for the career opportunities that are available to them in diverse technical fields. Throughout the year, WITT provides networking events, lunch and learns, mentorship opportunities and support services that are available to women in technology and trades programs at NAIT.