What to Expect
The Auto Body Technician program follows the current Alberta Apprenticeship Course Outline (pdf) to ensure all students are provided with appropriate training experiences to successfully pass their apprenticeship examinations.
NAIT also offers a pre-employment option for this trade, which can be taken without being indentured as an apprentice. For more information, visit Pre-employment Auto Body Repair.
Classroom & Study Hours
Students can expect to spend, on average
- 6 hours a day attending classes and labs (7:15 a.m. to 2:15 p.m., Monday to Friday)
- 1 to 3 hours a night studying, completing assignments and doing research
Training is provided at NAIT's Patricia Campus, 12204 149 Street NW. Vehicles are supplied for training purposes.
This photo gallery shows some of the skills you'll learn in this program, as well as tools and equipment used for training.
Is This Program For You?
This program is most rewarding for creative decision-makers who perform expert and very precise work. To be successful you need
- strength and stamina required to handle heavy tools and parts weighing up to 25 kilograms
- manual dexterity
- creativity, patience and an eye for detail
- good colour vision
- current knowledge of the annual changes manufacturers make in plastics, electronics, metals, supplemental restraints and paints
- good customer service skills
- commitment to safe work habits
The School of Skilled Trades wants our first-year students to become confident in their abilities, get connected to NAIT through groups, peers and staff, be supported personally and academically, get motivated to complete their program and most importantly enjoy the learning environment here at NAIT.
Being an apprentice student is quite different from being a full-time student. Apprentices are in school for short periods of time and some programs are on satellite campuses. Our goal is to improve communication with apprentices on all campuses to ensure you have access to all the services we have to offer at NAIT for you to be successful.
If there is something you are looking for or if you need additional information, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Apprenticeship Information
- Frequently asked questions about NAIT apprenticeship
- Frequently asked questions about the apprenticeship process
Women in Technology and Trades
The Auto Body Technician program is supported by Women in Technology and Trades (WITT), an offering of NAIT Student Engagement. The goal of WITT is to ensure that all female students are aware of and prepared for the career opportunities that are available to them in diverse technical fields. Throughout the year, WITT provides networking events, lunch and learns, mentorship opportunities and support services that are available to women in technology and trades programs at NAIT.