Where it Can Take You
Heavy equipment technicians are employed by specialized repair shops and organizations that own or lease heavy equipment used in the construction, mining, forestry, material handling, landscaping, land clearing, agriculture and transportation industries.
Experienced technicians may advance to supervisor or service manager positions.
For more information on roles, duties, career paths, salaries and more, visit
- Tradesecrets Trades & Occupations - Transport Trailer Mechanic
- Tradesecrets Trades & Occupations - Truck and Transport Mechanic
- Tradesecrets Trades & Occupations - Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic (Off Road)
- Tradesecrets Trades & Occupations - Heavy Equipment Technician
- Alberta Occupational Profiles
- Alberta Wage and Salary Survey
There are 4 apprenticeship routes to journeyman certification with common technical training in one or more periods.
- Transport-trailer mechanic: Apprentices completing common period 1 and on-the-job period 2 work experience will be eligible for a Transport-Trailer Mechanic Journeyman Certificate.
- Truck and transport mechanic: Apprentices completing common periods 1, 2 and 4 will be eligible for a Truck and Transport Mechanic Journeyman Certificate and a Transport-Trailer Mechanic Journeyman Certificate.
- Heavy duty equipment mechanic (off road): Apprentices completing common periods 1 through 3 will be eligible for a Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic (Off Road) Journeyman Certificate and a Transport-Trailer Mechanic Journeyman Certificate.
- Heavy equipment technician: Apprentices completing common periods 1 through 4 will be eligible for a Heavy Equipment Technician Journeyman Certificate.
Graduate Information & Opportunities
Red Seal Certification
Apprentices may attempt the Interprovincial Exam in the final period of their apprenticeship training and, if successful, be granted a Red Seal under the Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Program. A Red Seal ensures recognition of your certification throughout Canada without further examination.
Note: There is no Red Seal program for the transport-trailer mechanic or heavy equipment technician certifications.
Blue Seal Certification
Individuals possessing a valid Alberta Journeyman Certificate, an Alberta Qualification Certificate, an Alberta Occupational Certificate, or a valid recognized credential are eligible to receive a Blue Seal business credential after completing the necessary requirements.
- Please note: Post-secondary articulation agreements within Alberta are approved by the Alberta Council on Admissions and Transfer (ACAT). To view the details of specific agreements, please visit transferalberta.ca or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- For questions regarding transfer agreements or to obtain a course description/outline that is no longer available on our website, please contact email@example.com