Where it Can Take You
Machinists are employed wherever equipment is being manufactured or repaired. Some are employed by large organizations, such as government departments or repair and maintenance companies. Employment is generally steady for machinists.
Experienced machinists may advance to positions such as inspector, foreman or superintendent, or CNC machinist and programmer. Some machinists start businesses of their own.
For more information on roles, duties, career paths, salaries and more, visit
Graduate Information & Opportunities
Red Seal Certification
Apprentices may attempt the Interprovincial Exam in the final period of their apprenticeship training and, if successful, be granted a Red Seal under the Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Program. A Red Seal ensures recognition of your certification throughout Canada without further examination.
Blue Seal Certification
Individuals possessing a valid Alberta Journeyman Certificate, an Alberta Qualification Certificate, an Alberta Occupational Certificate, or a valid recognized credential are eligible to receive a Blue Seal business credential after completing the necessary requirements.
Continuing your studies
NAIT offers a number of part-time courses through Continuing Education to further enhance your career, including
- Introduction to Basic Machining Industrial Skills (MAC150)
- Basic Machining Centre Operation (MACH201)
- Intermediate Machining Centre Operations (MACH202)
- Advanced Machining Centre Operations (MACH203)
- Basic Turning Centre Operation (MACH301)
- Intermediate Turning Centre Operation (MACH302)
- Advanced Turning Centre Operations (MACH303)
- Machine Shop I (MACH101)
- Machine Shop II (MACH105)
- Machine Shop III (MACH110)
- Machine Shop IV (MACH115)
- Mastercam Level I - Miling (MACH620)
- Mastercam Level II - Lathe (MACH625)
- Please note: Post-secondary articulation agreements within Alberta are approved by the Alberta Council on Admissions and Transfer (ACAT). To view the details of specific agreements, please visit transferalberta.ca or contact email@example.com
- For questions regarding transfer agreements or to obtain a course description/outline that is no longer available on our website, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org