What to Expect
The Cook program follows the current Alberta Apprenticeship Course Outline (pdf) to ensure all students are provided with appropriate training experiences to successfully pass their apprenticeship examinations.
Classroom & Study Hours
Students can expect to spend, on average
- 30 hours per week attending classes and working in labs
Is This Program For You?
In general, students interested in becoming a cook value the job's creative challenges and the public appreciation for their expertise. To be successful in their trade, cooks need to
- be fluent in English with reading and writing competency
- have good basic mathematics skills
- have a genuine interest in preparing food and working with people
- be in good health and able to stand for long periods
- have a keen sense of taste and smell
- be flexible
- be able to lift in excess of 25 kilograms
- be ready to work as a member of a team
- be willing to maintain the high standard of cleanliness necessary in any food establishment
As a student in the Department of Culinary Arts and Professional Food Studies, you’ll get more than just a great hands-on education. There are opportunities to get involved with the school and the community.
- Video galleries – learn from our instructors, alumni and students and see what the Department has to offer
- Photo galleries – see photos from our recent events
The School of Skilled Trades wants our first-year students to become confident in their abilities, get connected to NAIT through groups, peers and staff, be supported personally and academically, get motivated to complete their program and most importantly enjoy the learning environment here at NAIT.
Being an apprentice student is quite different from being a full-time student. Apprentices are in school for short periods of time and some programs are on satellite campuses. Our goal is to improve communication with apprentices on all campuses to ensure you have access to all the services we have to offer at NAIT for you to be successful.
If there is something you are looking for or if you need additional information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.