What to Expect
The electrician program follows the current Alberta Apprenticeship Course Outline (pdf) to ensure all students are provided with appropriate training experiences to successfully pass their apprenticeship examinations.
Classroom & Study Hours
Students in the open exit program can expect to spend, on average
- 30 hours per week in classrooms and labs
Students in the distance delivery program can expect to spend
- 10–12 hours per week on coursework
- 8–10 days at NAIT in periods 1–3
- 13–15 days at NAIT in period 4
Training is done at NAIT's Main Campus in Edmonton.
Is This Program For You?
To be successful in their trade, electricians need
- good communication and reading skills
- an aptitude for math
- mechanical ability, strength and manual dexterity
- the ability to distinguish colours to work with colour-coded wiring
- the ability to work at heights
- the ability to lift between 11 and 25 kilograms
- the ability to get along well with co-workers
- the willingness to keep up with new developments in the field
- the ability to create new ways of doing things
- the ability to do very precise work expertly
- the ability to work at a variety of tasks
Those who install or maintain equipment in existing homes or businesses also must be neat, friendly and able to deal with customers courteously.
The School of Information Communication and Engineering Technologies participates in the NAITfye (First Year Experience) initiative developed to help students transition to life on campus. The goals are for our first year students to become confident in their abilities, get connected to NAIT through groups, peers, and staff, be supported personally and academically, get motivated to complete their program, and most importantly enjoy the learning environment here at NAIT!
Being an apprentice student is quite different from being a full-time student. Apprentices are in school for short periods of time and some programs are on satellite campuses. This is why there is a NAITfye facilitator just for you.
Our goal is to improve communication with apprentices on all campuses to ensure you have access to all the services we have to offer at NAIT for you to be successful. If there is something you are looking for or if you need additional information, please contact us at email@example.com.
If you want more information about the NAITfye workshops or have questions about NAIT services or student life, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the NAIT First Year Experience section of our website. We will answer any questions you have or direct you to the area best able to assist you.