What to Expect
The Floorcovering Installer program follows the current Alberta Apprenticeship Course Outline (pdf) to ensure all students are provided with appropriate training experiences to successfully pass their apprenticeship examinations.
Classroom & Study Hours
Students can expect to spend, on average
- 30 hours per week in classrooms and labs, with about half their time spent in each
Training is provided at
- NAIT Bremner Park, 14705 116 Avenue NW, Edmonton
- NAIT Calgary, 816 55 Avenue NE, Calgary (Please note: this location will change in September 2018)
Is This Program For You?
There are several advantages to the floorcovering trade, such as
- short length of apprenticeship
- comfortable inside work
- little dependency on other trades
- low injury rates
- strong employment opportunities and self-employment opportunities
Floorcovering is a finishing job, and as such, floorcovering installers must take a lot of pride in the work they do because nothing is hidden.
The work is most rewarding for people who enjoy working with their hands, developing specialized skills and performing tasks with little direction or supervision. To be successful in their trade, floorcovering installers need
- strength and stamina
- the ability to lift awkward loads in excess of 25 kilograms
- good colour vision to match colours
- the ability to be polite and tactful with customers and get along with others
The School of Skilled Trades wants our first-year students to become confident in their abilities, get connected to NAIT through groups, peers and staff, be supported personally and academically, get motivated to complete their program and most importantly enjoy the learning environment here at NAIT.
Being an apprentice student is quite different from being a full-time student. Apprentices are in school for short periods of time and some programs are on satellite campuses. Our goal is to improve communication with apprentices on all campuses to ensure you have access to all the services we have to offer at NAIT for you to be successful.
If there is something you are looking for or if you need additional information, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Apprenticeship Information
- Frequently asked questions about NAIT apprenticeship
- Frequently asked questions about the apprenticeship process
Women in Technology and Trades
The Floorcovering Installer program is supported by Women in Technology and Trades (WITT), an offering of NAIT Student Engagement. The goal of WITT is to ensure that all female students are aware of and prepared for the career opportunities that are available to them in diverse technical fields. Throughout the year, WITT provides networking events, lunch and learns, mentorship opportunities and support services that are available to women in technology and trades programs at NAIT.