What to Expect
The Floorcovering Installer program follows the current Alberta Apprenticeship Course Outline (pdf) to ensure all students are provided with appropriate training experiences to successfully pass their apprenticeship examinations.
Classroom & Study Hours
Students can expect to spend, on average
- 30 hours per week in classrooms and labs, with about half their time spent in each
Training is provided at
- NAIT Bremner Park, 14705 116 Avenue NW, Edmonton
Is This Program For You?
There are several advantages to the floorcovering trade, such as
- short length of apprenticeship
- comfortable inside work
- little dependency on other trades
- low injury rates
- strong employment opportunities and self-employment opportunities
Floorcovering is a finishing job, and as such, floorcovering installers must take a lot of pride in the work they do because nothing is hidden.
The work is most rewarding for people who enjoy working with their hands, developing specialized skills and performing tasks with little direction or supervision. To be successful in their trade, floorcovering installers need
- strength and stamina
- the ability to lift awkward loads in excess of 25 kilograms
- good colour vision to match colours
- the ability to be polite and tactful with customers and get along with others
The School of Skilled Trades wants our first-year students to become confident in their abilities, get connected to NAIT through groups, peers and staff, be supported personally and academically, get motivated to complete their program and most importantly enjoy the learning environment here at NAIT.
Being an apprentice student is quite different from being a full-time student. Apprentices are in school for short periods of time and some programs are on satellite campuses. Our goal is to improve communication with apprentices on all campuses to ensure you have access to all the services we have to offer at NAIT for you to be successful.
If there is something you are looking for or if you need additional information, please contact us at email@example.com.