Where it Can Take You
Most ironworkers are employed by construction contractors, but some are employed in industries such as metal fabricating, oil and gas production, iron and steel production, electric utilities and rail transport. Very few ironworkers are self-employed.
Experienced ironworkers may advance to supervisory positions, such as foreman and construction superintendent.
Graduates from the program have become industry leaders with job titles such as superintendent, general foreman and training coordinator.
For more information on roles, duties, career paths, salaries and more, visit
- Tradesecrets Trades & Occupations - Ironworker
- Tradesecrets Trades & Occupations - Ironworker - metal building systems erector
- Tradesecrets Trades & Occupations - Ironworker - reinforcing
- Tradesecrets Trades & Occupations - Ironworker - structural/ornamental
- Alberta Occupational Profiles – Ironworker
- Alberta Wage and Salary Survey – Ironworker
Graduate Information & Opportunities
Red Seal Certification
Apprentices may attempt the Interprovincial Exam in the final period of their apprenticeship training and, if successful, be granted a Red Seal under the Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Program. A Red Seal ensures recognition of your certification throughout Canada without further examination.
Note: The Red Seal program is only available for the ironworker certification.
Blue Seal Certification
Individuals possessing a valid Alberta Journeyman Certificate, an Alberta Qualification Certificate, an Alberta Occupational Certificate, or a valid recognized credential are eligible to receive a Blue Seal business credential after completing the necessary requirements.
- Please note: Post-secondary articulation agreements within Alberta are approved by the Alberta Council on Admissions and Transfer (ACAT). To view the details of specific agreements, please visit transferalberta.ca or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- For questions regarding transfer agreements or to obtain a course description/outline that is no longer available on our website, please contact email@example.com