Where it Can Take You
Plumbers are employed by construction contractors, plumbing repair shops and large organizations. Some are self-employed.
Experienced plumbers may advance to supervisory positions such as foreman or estimator, or start their own contracting businesses.
Plumbers may specialize in the types of work they do, such as
- installing water conditioners
- installing and servicing residential plumbing
- installing and maintaining pumps and private water supplies for farms and acreages
- installing plumbing in commercial, institutional, industrial or public buildings
- installing hydronic heating and chilled water systems
- renovating, maintaining and repairing existing plumbing
For more information on roles, duties, career paths, salaries and more, visit
Graduate Information & Opportunities
Red Seal Certification
Apprentices may attempt the Interprovincial Exam in the final period of their apprenticeship training and, if successful, be granted a Red Seal under the Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Program. A Red Seal ensures recognition of your certification throughout Canada without further examination.
Blue Seal Certification
Individuals possessing a valid Alberta Journeyman Certificate, an Alberta Qualification Certificate, an Alberta Occupational Certificate, or a valid recognized credential are eligible to receive a Blue Seal business credential after completing the necessary requirements.
- Please note: Post-secondary articulation agreements within Alberta are approved by the Alberta Council on Admissions and Transfer (ACAT). To view the details of specific agreements, please visit transferalberta.ca or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- For questions regarding transfer agreements or to obtain a course description/outline that is no longer available on our website, please contact email@example.com