What to Expect
The Crane & Hoisting Equipment Operator - Mobile Crane program follows the current Alberta Apprenticeship Course Outline (pdf). This ensures that all students are given the appropriate training experiences to successfully pass their apprenticeship examinations.
Classroom & Study Hours
Students can expect to spend, on average
- 30 hours per week in classrooms and labs at NAIT Spruce Grove Campus in periods 1 and 3
Training is held at NAIT's Spruce Grove Campus, 281 Tamarack Drive (West of Golden Spike Road). All classroom sessions and hands-on technical training is provided at this campus.
- Read more about NAIT's newest campus in Spruce Grove
- Watch the ground-breaking ceremony
- Read about the official grand opening of the Melton Crane and Hoisting Building
Is This Program For You?
Successful mobile crane operators are capable decision-makers prepared to work independently when necessary. They also enjoy being part of a team and travelling to different locations. They often like variety in their work. To be successful in the trade, mobile crane operators need
- coordination and manual dexterity
- the ability to work at heights
- the ability to lift weight in excess of 25 kilograms
- good vision
- the ability to work as part of a team and communicate with ground crews, usually using hand signals and voice communication
The School of Skilled Trades wants our first-year students to become confident in their abilities, get connected to NAIT through groups, peers and staff, be supported personally and academically, get motivated to complete their program and most importantly enjoy the learning environment here at NAIT.
Being an apprentice student is quite different from being a full-time student. Apprentices are in school for short periods of time and some programs are on satellite campuses. Our goal is to improve communication with apprentices on all campuses to ensure you have access to all the services we have to offer at NAIT for you to be successful.
If there is something you are looking for or if you need additional information, please contact us at email@example.com.