About the Program
The painter and decorator apprenticeship includes, but is not limited to
- surface preparation methods and specifications
- fundamentals of coatings
- application of residential, commercial and industrial coatings
- application of residential and commercial wall coverings
- trade-related math
- blueprint reading
Safety and safety awareness is a critical thread throughout all parts of the technical training at NAIT. Apprentices are required to demonstrate their knowledge and skills in
- the safe operation of portable and stationary power tools
- best practices employed by industry
- the interpretation and application of Alberta's Occupational Health and Safety regulations
The Painter and Decorator apprenticeship program has been offered at NAIT since 1965.
Tuition & Fees
- Recommended Path - Alberta High School Diploma with: English 30-2, Math 30-3, Physics 20 or Chemistry 20 or Science 20.
- Minimum Requirements - Successful completion of: English 10-2, Math 10-3, a pass mark in all 5 GED tests or Entrance Exam.
You must currently be employed in the trade. If you are not, you must first find an employer willing to hire an apprentice, then contact Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training to become a registered apprentice.
PPE Requirements: Safety glasses, safety boots/shoes, and coveralls.
Scholarships & Bursaries
For general application and special selections, ranging from $500 to $5,000, see Scholarships & Bursaries.