What to Expect
The Sheet Metal Worker program follows the current Alberta Apprenticeship Course Outline (pdf) to ensure all students are provided with appropriate training experiences to successfully pass their apprenticeship examinations.
Classroom & Study Hours
Apprentices in this program spend half of their day in the classroom or labs learning about
- different aspects of the trade
- theories in heating and ventilation
- how to design different types of sheet metal products
- how to service and maintain heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) equipment
The other half of the day is spent in the shop working and applying what they have learned and refining their hand skills in the assembly of sheet metal products.
Sheet metal workers learn in well-appointed labs and classrooms at NAIT's Patricia Campus, 12204 149 Street NW, Edmonton.
Is This Program For You?
In general, a successful sheet metal worker needs to possess
- good physical condition
- mechanical aptitude
- hand-eye coordination and spatial and form perception
- good eyesight and manual dexterity
- the ability to visualize a finished product from a drawing
- a good background in practical mathematics, geometry and blueprint reading
- the ability to stand for long periods, do some moderately heavy lifting and carrying and work in high, awkward and noisy places
- patience, dependability and accuracy
The School of Skilled Trades wants our first-year students to become confident in their abilities, get connected to NAIT through groups, peers and staff, be supported personally and academically, get motivated to complete their program and most importantly enjoy the learning environment here at NAIT.
Being an apprentice student is quite different from being a full-time student. Apprentices are in school for short periods of time and some programs are on satellite campuses. Our goal is to improve communication with apprentices on all campuses to ensure you have access to all the services we have to offer at NAIT for you to be successful.
If there is something you are looking for or if you need additional information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.