Why take a placement test?
Placement testing can help you fulfill the Grade 10 English entrance requirement for admission into Academic Upgrading and can also be used to place you into Academic Upgrading courses that you cannot prove the prerequisite for. Placement tests are only available for Math and English.
Who might need to take a placement test?
- Students who are unable to provide a high school transcript
- Students who attended school in a language other than English
- Students who have been out of school for 5 or more years
Math placement test (3 hours maximum)
- A scientific calculator will be provided.
- This test is progressive, based on Alberta's Mathematics grades 10 to 12 curriculum.
- Successful completion of grade 10 allows the student to progress.
- There is no study guide. However, you can see what skills you will be tested on by viewing the Alberta Math curriculum online.
English Placement Test (1 hour maximum)
This test has 2 parts.
- Read a literary passage and answer 14 multiple-choice questions.
- Write a related essay.
There is no study guide. However, you can see what skills you will be tested on by viewing the Alberta English curriculum online.
- All placement tests are scheduled by appointment only.
- Testing takes place at the NAIT Assessment Centre – Room J209, NAIT Main Campus.
- Placement tests are used for the sole purpose of placement into NAIT Academic Upgrading courses.
- Re-writes can be booked every 2 months.
Scheduling the Test
NAIT Main Campus (11762 - 106 Street NW, Edmonton)
NAIT Calgary Campus (816 - 55 Avenue NE, Calgary)
Edmonton: Monday to Friday
Calgary: Tuesdays and Thursdays
Edmonton: English - 8:30 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. Math - 8:30am only
|Cost||$79.00 (plus GST) per test
How do I schedule a placement test?
|How to schedule a test|
For further information on placement testing, call 780-471-8534 or email email@example.com.