Academic Upgrading Placement Test
Why take a placement test?
Placement testing can help you fulfill the Grade 10 English entrance requirement for admission into Academic Upgrading and can also be used to place you into Academic Upgrading courses that you cannot prove the prerequisite for. Placement tests are only available for Math, English and Chemistry.
Who might need to take a placement test?
- Students who are unable to provide a high school transcript
- Students who attended school in a language other than English
- Students who have been out of school for 5 or more years
Math Placement Test (3 hour maximum)
- A scientific calculator will be provided.
- This test is progressive, based on Alberta's Mathematics grades 10 to 12 curriculum.
- Successful completion of grade 10 allows the student to progress.
- There is no study guide. However, you can see what skills you will be tested on by viewing the Alberta Math curriculum online.
English Placement Test (1 hour maximum)
This test has 2 parts:
- Read a literary passage and answer 14 multiple-choice questions.
- Write a related essay.
*There is no study guide. However, you can see what skills you will be tested on by viewing the Alberta English curriculum online.
Chemistry Placement Test (90 minutes maximum)
A passing grade on this test will fulfill the Science 10 prerequisite for enrolment into Academic Upgrading's Chemistry 20 course. NOTE: Math 10C or equivalent is still required.
- A scientific calculator and Periodic Table of the Elements will be provided.
- There is no study guide. However, you can see what skills you will be tested on by viewing the chemistry outcomes within the Alberta Science 10 curriculum online.
- IMPORTANT: This test cannot be used to fulfill the Chemistry 20 prerequisite for entry into Chemistry 30.
- All placement tests are scheduled by appointment only.
- Testing takes place at the NAIT Assessment Centre – Room J209, NAIT Main Campus.
- Placement tests are used for the sole purpose of placement into NAIT Academic Upgrading courses.
- Re-writes can be booked every 2 months.
How to Schedule an Off-Campus Placement Test
If you are a NAIT or prospective NAIT student living more than 100 km outside of Edmonton, you can arrange a Placement Test (excluding math) off-campus. To find more details on how to schedule an off-campus Placement Test, visit Off-Campus Placement/Equivalency Testing Scheduling Instructions.
To check list of NAIT approved off-campus invigilation sites, please visit NAIT Placement and Equivalency Invigilation Network.
Scheduling the Test
NAIT Main Campus (11762 - 106 Street NW, Edmonton)
Monday to Friday
English - 8:30 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. Math - 8:30am only
|Cost||$82.50 per test
How do I schedule a placement test?
|How to schedule a test||
You must have a NAIT ID number and Portal username before booking. If you don't have this information, please visit the MyNAIT Portal.
For further information on placement testing, call 780-471-8534 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.