English as a Second Language (ESL) - English Language Proficiency Exam
What is an English Language Proficiency (ELP) Exam?
This exam is intended for students applying to a NAIT credit program and whose first language is not English. Its purpose is to assess the student’s English skills. If an exam is required, students can take NAIT’s English Language Proficiency exam.
Before registering for an English Language Proficiency Exam, students should first confirm language requirements for their program. Information can be found by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by checking NAIT’s English Language Proficiency entrance requirements.
Please note: Students are encouraged to complete advanced ESL courses at NAIT prior to attempting the English Language Proficiency Exam. Concentrated, academic training provides the opportunity to practice specific English language skills necessary to succeed in NAIT programs. Click ESL for more information
Preparing for the NAIT ELP Exam
- NESL 716 ELP Exam preparation course is available.
Register in person:
- Continuing Education Welcome Centre (room L159)
- Student Service Centre, room CAT 180
Register by Phone:
- Student Success Centre: 780-471-6248 or
- Toll free 1-877-333-6248
*Please Note: Registration closes 72 hours prior to each exam date.
Registration Fee: $175 CAD
Transfer fee: $50 CAD will be applied when a date change is requested.
Cancellations: Students must cancel their registration a minimum of five days prior to the exam date (not including the exam day itself). Students who cancel will receive a refund less a $50 CAD administration fee. Please review NAIT’s Refund Policy.
No-shows: Students who do not cancel, attend, or arrive on time will not receive a refund. A grade of F (Fail) will be entered into Test Scores.
How Often Can I Take This Exam?
Students can only register in one exam at a time and must wait 8 weeks between attempts. Students who fail after four attempts will not be permitted to register again without demonstration of increased English skills.
The location of the exam is subject to change so students are encouraged to confirm the location in their MyNAIT Student Portal 48 hours prior.
- Arrive for exam check-in at 8:15 am. Late students will not be admitted and no refunds will be given.
- Bring acceptable photo ID (such as a NAIT student ID, Alberta driver’s license, or passport)
- Bring their own writing implements (pen, pencil, eraser, and pencil sharpener if required)
- Cell phones and other electronic devices are not permitted during the exam.
Marks and Results
- To pass, students must achieve a grade of B (73%) in each of the 4 skill areas. For most Health Science Programs 75% in each of the 4 skill areas is required. Before registering, please visit the Formal Assessment page.
- Results are final. Feedback is not provided.
- Results for partial passes (passes in 1-3 skill areas) are valid for 16 weeks
- Results are valid for two years, provided the student passed all sections of the exam and provides proof of on-going English language proficiency
- Results will be posted on the MyNAIT Student Portal 10 business days after the exam and can be found in the portal by clicking ‘MyGrades’ -> ELP, Placement & Equivalency Results.
- Students who fail the exam after four attempts will not be permitted to register again without demonstration of increased English skills.
- After ELP marks have been posted, students with pending applications to NAIT DDCP programs can request to have their application updated by sending an email to email@example.com
|NESL900||ESL Assessment Tests|