The Business Foundations program is a pathway into NAIT's Business Diploma Program for students who don't currently have the pre-requisites. It is a full-time, one term program that provides students with the fundamental academic principles to ensure their success in future courses. It helps students to identify strategies for both personal and professional growth that will enhance their potential for academic success.
Over the course of the term students will:
- Devise individual strategies for academic success.
- Develop a plan for personal and professional growth.
- Integrate appropriate technical and software applications that support academic activities.
- Implement communication skills appropriate to the context.
- Discover fundamental principles and develop business skills for subsequent course work
- Business Communications (BUSF850) – Business Communications plus a basic skill review of reading, speaking, grammar and research
- Mathematics for Business (BUSF855) – Business Math applications plus basic math skill review
- Introduction to Business (BUSF860) – Survey course introducing foundational business concepts
- Strategies for Student Success (BUSF865) – Empowers students to enhance personal qualities and study skills to maximize their potential in school and in life
Program Tuition: $2,155
Disclaimer: This information is provided to help you estimate your costs for student financing. Some courses may also have additional expenses. All fees are subject to change.
It is recommended applicants have A-Math 10 or P-Math 10 and English 10-1 or 10-2.
As English is the language of instruction at NAIT, an adequate knowledge of written and spoken English is a prerequisite for admission. By registering in the program, students are certifying that they have an adequate knowledge of written and spoken English. The assessments listed below meet NAIT's English language proficiency (ELP) requirement.
- NAIT's English Language Proficiency Exam – minimum 73% or "B" in each of the four components.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic Format – overall score of 6.5 with no band less than 5.0.
- Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL) – score of 70.
- Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) – score of 85.
- University of Alberta ESL 140/145 – successful completion.
- TOEFL iBT (Internet Based) – requires a minimum total score of 80 with no individual test score below 20 or Paper Based requires a minimum score of 550.
Link to the English Language Proficiency requirements
In order to advance into the Business Diploma Program students will need to demonstrate that they have met NAIT's ELP requirement.
Advanced Credit Possibilities
When students successfully complete the program (by passing all 4 courses), they will have fulfilled the entrance requirements for NAIT's Business Diploma Program and will get transfer credits for two first year courses. As students are refreshing their skills and establishing a strong academic foundation, they receive the added benefit of knowing that their course work in this term applies to their diploma program.
Students will receive transfer credit for
- COMM1101-Communications 1
- FNCE1125-Introduction to Finance
Students must obtain 55% in all four courses in order to obtain admission to the Business Diploma program. Students must also demonstrate that they meet NAIT's English Language Proficiency standard prior to being admitted to the Diploma program.